.NET and XML

S

sachinwfs

To start off with I'd just like to say that I'm not a programmer or anything so I don't know exactly how XML or .NET works, but from what I understand XML is a new free-form language that Microsoft is developing. .Net is a framework for programs made with this language. .NET is apparently not a windows-only type architecture and is eventually supposed to be able to work on LINUX and Mac machines.

What I don't understand though is, what is Microsoft getting out of all of this? They spend millions developing this new language and this new framework, but it's not something that they intend to keep for themselves--they're just giving it away.

I thought about this for a while, but I just couldn't see any answer. I was hoping that someone on this forum, someone who actually knows what they are talking about, could answer this for me.

By developing these new languages (as they did with VB) they are able to develop new software (such as new versions of Windows and server based Windows operating systems). Languages such as ASP (XML, .NET) are very powerful and allow other software/web developers to do much more, in much easier ways. As languages such as COBOL are slowly fading (but never disappearing) and other programming languages such as XML and .NET are the wave of the future.

Developing new languages simply allow software/web developers to do more. In the end, Microsoft still makes out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back