Nero Madness

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gballard, Jul 28, 2003.

1. gballard

gballard Moderator

I bought a full copy of Nero and when I went to uninstall the bundled version that came with my burner...it wouldnt uninstall...no matter what I tried. I used standalone uninstall programs and no matter what I do...the entry still remains in Add/Remove programs. I even did the big no no and deleted the directory then went into the registry and tried to find every reference to Ahead or Nero but it still remains in the list. This is a problem because the full version will not install...it starts to install and then just stops. I am guessing it is finding a reference to the old version somewhere...anyone got any ideas?

:confused:

2. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Try an uninstall program. I know Nortons 2003 has something like this.

3. Ravo_5002

Ravo_5002 Guest

yups,hope this helps :)

4. gballard

gballard Moderator

thanks for the tool...but still no go...here is a shot of what it says before the install just stops...

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Install Nero (the bundled version) and then uninstall. See if that helps.

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

you tried using the bundled CD to put a good working copy back on. then try again

7. gballard

gballard Moderator

ok...tried that...got the same thing.

8. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

have you tried regclean.

9. gballard

gballard Moderator

I will try regclean adobo...cant hurt to see what happens...I feel you pain on the dialup too...heh...

10. gballard

gballard Moderator

hmmm...it says regclean will not run on XP?

11. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

what you get an error. I run it all the time when upgrading drivers. what is the error and what version of regclean...maybe they updated it.

12. gballard

gballard Moderator

i never actually downloaded it...just read that on the website

13. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about Nero 5? Is there a differrence between a 'bundled' and purchased one? I've been using the serial from an OEM version 5.5.3.2 that I've had for years. Whenever I download a current version from Ahead's site, it always took. Whether I loaded on top of the old or did a fresh install. Have you tried a fresh download from Ahead's site? If you purchased a disc version it's probably not up to date anyway, and could just be a bad disc.

Maybe THIS will help with clearing the add/remove entry.

14. gballard

gballard Moderator

Yeah...the bundled version can only be used with the cd-rw it came with apparently...or so it said when i tried it on another cd-rw. I tried un-installing the bundled version first and it wouldnt un-install...i tried other programs to remove it....no go....the directory is gone....but Nero Burning ROM still appears in the installed programs list.

15. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I don't think that matters. Have you tried to install a fresh download of Nero?

And jv16 will remove the entry, and checking in Installed Programs you can also remove any Nero remnants there. Unfortunatley unless you have it it is no longer free. But Xteq should do it and it's free.

16. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Guk K is right, Xteq will remove the bad entry for you !
    I know this problem, a soft wouldn't install because of the previous version badly uninstalled, once Xteq removed the entry, it installed like a charm ;)
    Might well be your solution !

17. Hematic

Hematic Guest

Darn you so beat me too it! Xteq does work as it has doen this for me before

18. gballard

gballard Moderator

19. gballard

gballard Moderator

when I try to install either version...It starts off like its gonna install then I get the message referenced in the nero maddness.jpg further up the thread.