News Nero 9.4.12.3 Free Version

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by American Zombie, Jul 30, 2009.

1. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Nero is now offering a limited version of it's software for free.
    I assume it is probably just the burning ROM but that is the only part of Nero some people want.

:source: News Source and Download: Nero 9.4.12.3 Free

ray_gillespie likes this.
  2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Thats quite cool of them really, it has got a rep of having alot of bloat, but I think 9 is quite tame.

If my nero isn't running, its not using any system resouces, I can't see anything hiding in the background although I do have some of the options not installed, aside from the main app I generally only use Nerovision.

3. profquatermass

profquatermass OSNN Junior Addict

The reason Nero are doing this is basically there are dozens of perfectly good free CD burners now and of course every time you buy a computer it comes with a piece of trial CD burning software on it!

Take - ImgBurn - a fine example of basic functionality of CD burning.

Nero has done what a lot of other utility software developers end up doing to make a daily crust - add more content and so justify bringing out a new version yearly.

The result is bloatware. This has a side effect of pushing people away.
    Look at what happened to the web browser Navigator for example. People got tired and developed Firefox.

Norton and others have all been found guilty of falling into this trap.

This sales route ultimately leads to many disgruntled existing customers as they have to fork out more money for things they don't want just to get bugs fixed.

Which is odd as the #1 rule in business is - don't annoy your existing customers!

I prefer a company to sell me separate packages that can operate integrated if used together so I buy exactly what I need. These can be updated much easier than a huge package and keeps the 'fat' off.

I've been in the industry 29 years now, you'd think these companies would look at the history of software development and its sale practises and not head down the same slippery slope of a dead end.

I guess since we let them do this to us, we've ultimately only got ourselves to blame. :yowch:

4. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Yea Imgburn is the only one I will ever use again. I did use Nero awhile back, but of course has stopped. Don't matter how much they fixed it, cleaned it, no need to go back now.

5. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

This is great news, nice find AZ!

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I will stick with imgburn ..

7. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

I use Roxio. It's easy and works! It's good to know that Nero is free though, that was the first CD burning program I discovered.

8. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Roxio is terrible ..

9. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

quite good on mac :)

10. assclown

assclown OSNN Citizen Man

Hey thanks for the post! Nice to have something for free for Windows 7 until i actually buy it and make it my primary OS.

11. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i have been using Ashampoo for windows 7. works great!

12. rajivsci

rajivsci OSNN One Post Wonder

nero free, r u joking, who uses it , It already has too many probs with full software. free is waste of time. I m using ashampoo burner too. its pretty good too.