Need some guidance for SATA.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pluto, Jun 30, 2006.

1. pluto

pluto OSNN Addict

I am going to get another hard drive for the computer and Im wondering about some things.

I currently have a Seagate SATA drive at 74GB and the mainboard can support another 3 drives. I have WinXP SP2. BIOS will be updated. Its an ECS board with the 915GM chipset and supports only SATA/150.

Is there any special requirements or procedures that I should do before adding another drive(s)? Im only going to be using NTFS.

2. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I would think as long as you buy SATA/150 you should be fine. I have a similar setup, the only real problem I have is no matter what sata port I connect my drives to, Windows will assign the wrong drive letter. I just change the letter in disk management and its all good. If you're trying to do RAID that's a whole new beast and someone else will be better suited to help you there.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I don't see any problems with your setup, just turn the machine off (ha) and hook up the drives. It doesn't even really matter which port you plug them into, being SATA 0-3, just keep them behind your boot drive (i.e. if your main drive is SATA 1 make sure you don't put them at 0. It probably wouldn't cause any problems, but better safe than sorry.