Need quick answer! (Excel)

J

Jae

I have two worksheets.

One is for the statistics analysis and the other one is filled with data.

In the data worksheet (we'll call it ABC):
You have the columns: A1 Birthdate, B1 Postal Code, C1 Sex
In B1 Postal code, there is @#@ #@#. (6 Character)

In C1 Sex. There are values of M or F down the list.

Objective in the statistics analysis sheet: (We'll call it STAT)

I have to analysis the number of male patients in a certain postal code. Example, in the postal code of M1B###, there could be 15 patients of which 7 are male and 8 are females.

I need a formula, in which it can calculate the NUMBER OF MALE/FEMALE patients according the first 3 digits of the postal code.

I've tried this:

=COUNTIF(ABC!B:C,AND('Stat'!A2,ABC!C:C=M))

Note: 'Stat'!A2 contains the value MIB* . So that retrieves all the MIB's in the ABC! column.

But the problem is that, I can not state two conditions. Please help.

Removing 'ABC!C:C=M' would make it count 15 which is correct if I wanted the number of patients. But I want the condition that out of those 15 patients, how many are male. (Hence, I added 'M'). But it does not seem to work.

Anyone have a better solution? Thanks!

- Jae

A quick & dirty solution is to add another column D, in which you for example state something like =IF(A1=$E$1;C1) where A is the column with postal codes, E1 is the box where you enter the data to check against (i.e. M1B*) and C is the column with gender.

In that new column D you'll then get genders of all people with the right postal code, and FALSE/NULL for the rest. From there on it's a cakewalk to count the number of M/F.

Well, it's one way of doing it...and it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back