Need permission??????

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Bucky Badger, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

I have 1 user account on my computer. I am trying to change a dll file. I get a message that says I need permission. I only have one account called "main". What do I have to change to to be able to make any changes I want with out hassle, like XP did.

I really don't want different users. I like my computer to boot right up to windows with having to click different users. Thanks

2. larry2617

larry2617 **** Member

you have to enable the administrator account(disabled by default) because the user has not enough rights even if you have admin rights.after enabling admin account log out of user log into admin make changes to files then log out of admin and back to user part of microsoft's security with vista and win7

3. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Just take ownership of the file.

1. Right-click the file and select Properties.
    2. Click on the Security tab.
    3. Click Advanced in the lower right.
    4. In the Advanced Security Settings window that pops up, click on the Owner tab.
    5. Click Edit.
    6. Click Other users or groups.
    7. Click Advanced in the lower left corner.
    8. Click Find Now.
    9. Scroll through the results and double-click on your current user account.
    10. Click OK to all of the remaining windows except the first Properties window.
    11. Select your user account from the list up top and click Edit.
    12. Select your user account from the list up top again and then in the pane below, check Full control under Allow, or as much control as you need.
    13. You’ll get a security warning, click Yes.

4. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

Thanks...tride both ways but Zombies didn't work, so I had to use larry's

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Don't feel bad, I've had trouble taking ownership of files before, too. FWIW, I use the true Admin account as described, anymore.

6. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I was having an issue moving some files around on my Windows 7 Ultimate (64) kept telling me I didn't have administrative privileges. I even added the "take ownership" to right click on a file before attempting. I also tried the above 1-13 method. It didn't work. I have a dual boot with Windows 7 (86) and was able to move files around from their on the 7 (64) drive. Pain in the butt but it works.