Need new DVD Player Home Entertainment

Best Home Entertainment DVD Player for burned media

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Have transfered my VHS collection to DVD but 3 of my 4 Home Entertainment DVD Players are finicky playing them. One of the 4 palyers palys all of the DVDs most of the time.

Yes, I have cleaned lasers, cleaned disks, confirmed no scratches, using the best blanks I can find (not saying much there), burn at the lowest speed possible, have bought a new Name Brand burner.

Wife is getting really pissed about DVDs that stop half way through...

Sooo, I need a new player that is not picky about the media type or home made DVDs.

Looking for hands on with home made DVDs and what media you burn on.

Mucho Gras, and Mucho Rep's for help.

PS Remember as always I am a cheapskate so nothing fancy. Well, maybe HDMI upconvert for the new TV since it's Digital Processor is not the best in the world.

I buy the cheapest DVDRW drives (usually around $30 or so) but I always buy Verbatim brand or any other brand that uses discs manufactured by the same company that makes them for Verbatim. WinData is often $10 for 50 DVD+Rs where I'm at, and they're the same discs as Verbatim. I actively avoid Memorex brand which is crap.

I don't necessarily burn at the slowest (2.4x) but I burn at 4x and haven't had a problem since. You already said you burn at a slow speed so it shouldn't be that. I made a rule for myself when I learned by experience to burn slower to just burn at one-fourth of the maximum disc speed, so I burn at 4x for DVDs (even dual-layer with 8x maximum) and 16x for CDs.

My regular DVD player was going downhill with all DVDs. About six months ago I gave up using it at all and just use my home-built Vista-based Media Center computer to play my DVDs on, which I've had attached to my TV since I built it, and I had XP MCE 2005 attached to it before that. The only discs I've had problems with since then were with some of the first DVDs I burned when I was still burning at maximum speed on whatever DVD media I could get cheap at the time.

Honestly, for a low priced universal player that will pretty much play anything you throw at it, with all the features included, inlcluding the HDMI cable you can't beat these
http://www.oppodigital.com/

Just sose ya know, the 980h is probably the cheapest of the bunch, but for all the included stuff it rivals a universal DVD player at much higher prices.

I use a Sony DVD player with the upscale feature. I have used a few DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW/DL disks in it and have had no problems. So...

There is only one brand of DVD's or CD's to use period. I personally use Taiyo Yuden because the quality is proven superior over the rest. the compatibility has a high percentage for DVD players to read the media.

This list will narrow down in detail the player you need :)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

My Philips DVD player has never let me down. It has frequent firmware updates and even plays DivX/Xvid encoded files as well.

There is only one brand of DVD's or CD's to use period. I personally use Taiyo Yuden because the quality is proven superior over the rest.

Where are you finding your Taiyo Yuden. I can never seem to find any. When I do find good blanks the next spindle changes manufacturer...

Whats wrong with a PS3?

Too cheap. I have no interest in console gaming or Blu Ray at the current price of media ($30) so PS3 is overkill. If I were interested in BLURay the PS3 would be at the top of my list. Question - does PS3 upconvert on DVD play back?

Where are you finding your Taiyo Yuden. I can never seem to find any. When I do find good blanks the next spindle changes manufacturer...

Too cheap. I have no interest in console gaming or Blu Ray at the current price of media ($30) so PS3 is overkill. If I were interested in BLURay the PS3 would be at the top of my list. Question - does PS3 upconvert on DVD play back?

He's got the link right in his post. :D But I guess I don't know if he finds them locally as well.

Yes.

I wouldn't have recommended if the PS3 didn't have the ability to upconvert (and do it well). Also, it allows you to play media of various formats. Divx support is native and it can support matroska and others and you can also store files on the hard-drive. That and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than other players on the market with less than half the capabilities.

Besides if you DO go to bluray in the future, the PS3 is the best high-def player on the market.

i have a samsung that upconverts to 720p...

plays bout anything, has the ez view thingy (to "narrow" 4:3 movies if ur tv is widescreen and auto streches, like my philips), does a pretty good upconversion and also supports pal dvds (my sony one doesn't)

note: pal dvds will playback in black and white if ur tv doesnt support it... i believe philips and panasonic do (should say "multinorm")

oh.. it also plays divx files.. but its slow and low quality so i never use it for that

I just look for the region free Dvd players because I've noticed I can play all my dvds with no problem (over 100 of them I got while in Asia) :D
Even the ones in walmart are only $20 or so, and have s-video out and all.
Target has a Panasonic that I just got with component out for $35.

He's got the link right in his post. :D But I guess I don't know if he finds them locally as well.

:dead: Going blind in the my old age. I missed the link on the name. Good prices. And I seem to have better luck with the 8x than with 16X media so even better.

I just look for the region free Dvd players because I've noticed Even the ones in walmart are only $20 or so, and have s-video out and all.
Target has a Panasonic that I just got with component out for $35.

I'll go check out Target. But I have never seen a region free player. All the ones I've bought, even the cheapo's at Walmart are region locked with a limited number of changes allowed.

I was hoping Walmarts cheapies omitted the DRM junk but had no luck. Even a $29 dollar one had the stupid Macrovision enabled. I'll go read labels again.

Can't find them anywhere locally. at you mega box stores. even the local micro center does not carry Taiyo Yuden media

I get them here
Great prices. and you know they are authentic. not counterfeit. super media is a good store.

My Philips DVD player has never let me down. It has frequent firmware updates and even plays DivX/Xvid encoded files as well.

$*)((#%$#$ Walmart had a Philips with 1080 upconvert for $57 on the way home tonight. So I buy it, then get out to my car and notice the box has been opened so I spent 40 minutes returning it. Common practice at Walmart to pry open boxes and switch your old brokne remote for a new one so I wasn't gong to risk it. It was the last one they had. Nuts now I have to go look at the other 2 Walmarts in my area and see if they have any.

That's another good thing about using a DVDRW drive on your computer as your DVD player - they're usually very easy to make region-free.

I wonder why TY media can't be found locally, other than the usual reasons such as business politics and kickbacks (for the other brands).

Edit: Typical retail experience, unfortunately. Sorry to hear that and good luck at the other stores!

I'll go check out Target. But I have never seen a region free player. All the ones I've bought, even the cheapo's at Walmart are region locked with a limited number of changes allowed.

I was hoping Walmarts cheapies omitted the DRM junk but had no luck. Even a $29 dollar one had the stupid Macrovision enabled. I'll go read labels again.

The reason why I know that they are region free is that I can play all my movies I got from an Asian country some time back :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back