Need more Thermal grease on a PIII ??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pythro, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Pythro

Pythro Guest

I was disecting my computer and I removed the heatsink from the processor and I dont see any thermal compund. When I removed the heatsink I can see a blue square on the processor, I think this is the die and i think this is were i would put the termal grease if i needed any. Am i right and what is a good thermal grease if i need some?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, you're right. p3's have a blue square in the middle which is the die. that is where you'd want to apply a thin layer of thermal grease.

I and everyone else will tell you Arctic Silver III is the best. you can get it online for like $10 and have enough for years.

3. dabomb

dabomb Moderator

yeah you are right, artic silver compound is probably the best heat transering stuff around

4. Pythro

Pythro Guest

Ok thanks alot. So I guess I need to put as much on the die as i can without it oozing off and shorting stuff out.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it's made to not conduct electricity... but you really don't need that much. like i said, just a thin layer covering the die.

also, be sure to thoroughly clean both the die and heatsink contact surface. don't get fingerprints on either one as oil insulates.

6. Pythro

Pythro Guest

Ok thanks. What should i use to clean it? A paper towel?

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover... and a paper towel works, but make sure you get off any lint when you're done.

8. Pythro

Pythro Guest

Thanks alot.

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

no problem. }:>

the whole thing probably isn't that important with a p3... but when you have an athlon of any kind, it becomes a religion. }:p

10. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

did your heatsink have any kind of TIM on it?
    u wouldnt see any thermal grease then ...i think

11. Pythro

Pythro Guest

I didnt see anything on it.