Need info on AthlonXP FSB settings

D

Digerati

I just got an Athlon XP 2100+ t-bred and an Epox 8rda+ mobo.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what the standard FSB setting is for the chip.

I've read it has a 266 mhz FSB while the 8rda+ has a max FSB of 300mhz.

What would be the stock FSB setting for the chip then in the BIOs? and what kind of overclocking numbers should I be looking at?

Thanks!

First... the FSB is 266.

Second... to OC that chip you will have to bridge the L1 gaps. That requires you to soilder some points on the chip. You can find info about it on www.tomshardware.com

You can OC a chip as much as it will take. It's all about what HSF you are using, the cooling you have, the tolerances on the chip, the speed of your RAM... there are a lot of factors. You won't know how much until you try it for yourself.

the fsb setting in bios is the CLOCK setting...

the clock setting is 133... ( - 133x2 = 266)

if you are ocing by increasing the fsb clock... around 140-145 should be safe... though do not forget to increase the voltage by appropriate increments also...

concerning the bridging... that is done to UNLOCK the cpu so you get higher multipliers as unfrogiven has explained... but you would have to know what you are doing...

I would HIGHLY recommend that you read up on this topic on various websites that deal with overclocking so that you have an idea of what is going on and don't just jump into it as a novice and blow the cpu/rig...

also each system oc's differently... who knows.. you may not be able to oc @ all or could get lucky and zip the cpu all the way up to 200mhz clock... there are no guarantees with oc'ing except that it is potentially risky and definitely voids your warranty/warranties...

that board should be able to unlock his chip w/o bridging

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
that board should be able to unlock his chip w/o bridging

older cpu's were laser cut/ie locked...

something else i been wondering...off topic...

if u overclock that voids warranty......how would anyone know that u overclocked it if the chip fried? is there some sort of physical evidence of overclocking.....other than the obvious burnt look.

like a black box in plane crashes.....is there one within the cpu?

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
something else i been wondering...off topic...

if u overclock that voids warranty......how would anyone know that u overclocked it if the chip fried? is there some sort of physical evidence of overclocking.....other than the obvious burnt look.

like a black box in plane crashes.....is there one within the cpu?

if you oc'd and under warranty... I don't really know... there might be a way to tell..

if you bridge the contacts... its a lot easier to tell...

well since u have to modify the CPU to unlock it thats always a good hint that u were doing something u weren't. but as far as doing it through the FSB I don't think they can, they could ask you and (the dumb/honest one's) will say yes I did and they will say sorry.

actually the tbreds come factory unlocked or am i very lucky:)

my 2100 and my 2700 are unlocked

i believe its the palominos that need bridging to gain use of multipliers

or it the board that bypasses the need for bridging..oh well no guru but he should be able to have access to differnet multipliers with that chip n board

I always had to unlock my cpu's dunno why your so special....... but im jealous!

Like in my case my Athlon1800+ is spose to be 133x11.5 which makes it run at 1.53ghz but in my bios I set it to 133x12.5 and it is running at 1.67ghz
even in the properties tab of my computer it is listed as an Athlon2000+ same in sandra si soft it says I got an Athlon 2000+

No change in temps runs just as it did cept I get almost 400 points more in benchmarks and in performace test I based it against a hp 522c Athlon 2000+ and my machine gets a higher score overall 202 points for the HP 220 for mine :p

now how cool is that.... and I have not yet touched the fsb nor the voltage which on my EPOX is all very doable in bios can set FSB from 133 to over 210 << ouch so I will now start to mess around with the fsb and voltage just because I can lol :cool:

System information- This Computer
CPU Manufacturer:AuthenticAMD
Number of CPU: 1
CPU Type: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
CPU Speed: 1666.2 MHz
Cache size: 256KB
O/S: Windows XP
Total RAM: 804765696 Bytes
Available RAM:640421888 Bytes

its not its an Athlon1800+

and my score was PassMark Rating

202.66 < hp 522c Athlon 2000+

220.54 Mine

LOL

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor(s)
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in
Speed : 1.73GHz
Model Number : 2100 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR2525 (estimated)
Type : Standard
Multiplier : 12.5x
Generation : 7th (7x86)
Model Information : Duron M8/MP & Athlon 4/MP/XP (Thoroughbred) 1.5G+ 1.65V
Revision/Stepping : 8 / 0 (0)

Caches
Internal Data Cache : 64kB synchronous write-back (2-way, 64 byte line size)
Internal Code Cache : 64kB synchronous write-back (2-way, 64 byte line size)
L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC synchronous write-back (16-way, 64 byte line size)
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x (equiv. 1726MHz)

Host Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 138MHz (276MHz data rate)

Mainboard Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : Socket A
Upgrade Interface : ZIF Socket
Supported Speed(s) : 1.73GHz (or more)
Supported Voltage(s) : 1.5V

Environment Monitor 1
Model : Winbond W83697HF ISA
Version : 6.00
Mainboard Specific Support : No

Processor Sensors
CPU Temperature : 43.0°C / 109.4°F td
Auto Fan Speed Control : No
CPU Fan Speed : 4441rpm
CPU Core Voltage : 1.50V

Extended Features

Thermal Sensor Built-in : Yes

Advanced Settings
TLB Cacheable : Yes
System Ack Limit : 4 req(s)
System Victim Limit : 0 req(s)
Extended MTRR Types : Yes
I/O Type Range Registers : Yes
Top of Memory : 30000000 (768MB)

Board temp 23C ...

Oh look today I have an Athlon 2100+

:p

I pushed my friends 1800+ to 1.93ghz could have went father but I was weary that his volcano 9 couldn't handle it, im sure I could have gotten it to 2ghz with a better cooling solution.

Cool I am thinking about dropping the multi back to 11.5X and going fsb in the 157 pumping up the vcore to around 1.7 should keep me stable will give me 1.8ghz what were the settings you used ? I know I need to back down my ram timings I am doing all this right now running in turbo mode I think I will drop all my ram timings to normal and then ease my way back up the ladder I tried 140fsbx12.5 with a vore of 1.55 but was not stable then again like I said my ram timings were in turbo mode I will try it again with normal ram timings

LOL I know its adictive I just gotta try because its there

I love epox boards my bios lets me pump up everything in very small amounts and have access to all muli settings right up to 15x and the lower ones as well I never had to touch the cpu its all done in the bios :cool:

Right now my vcore is stock set at 1.5 volts 138fsbx12.5 =1.725GHZ ....

But ram timings are in turbo ...so I think best bet is to set ram timings lower ( normal) and then drop the multi back to 11.5x and then go FSB in the 160 range but of course I will need to pump up the Vcore ... this is where heat comes in as you pump in the Vcore volts

haha no no I mean what Core is on your cpu? not what is your vcore

the XP has gone through 3 different core changes and for the life of me I can't think of any of there names, and im to lazy to look! the first 2 where on the .15 micron die the 3rd was on the .13 micron die the 4th is the Barton and I think its on the 2800+ and up but since u have an 1800+ you wouldn't have one of those.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back