need immediate help

computers dont die, parts die.

i already bought a new processor and a new motherboard, theres no fucking way im giving up now =p

Cam !!!!!

My motherboard used to do this if I set the memory speed or clock speed to high. Reset your bios !!! ( God I hope this works :rolleyes: )

how am i to reset my bios when i get absolutely nothing on screen?

i pulled the battery about 60 seconds ago, ill try putting it back in maybe that did the trick.

cam

if you can figure out how to reset my bios via the hardware..

the board is an asus a7v133-c

i did a little digging on my own and found out how to reset the bios..

pop the battery and short the solder points for a few seconds with a metal object. i did so, and same problem.

one thing i think i should make a note of, motherboard makes no beeps when i pull the ram and try to boot.

cam

Hmmm, unsure now,

Normal way to reset the bios, is move the jumper to pins 2-3 turn the machine on for a few secs, turn off. move the jumper back and your'e done. Not convinced now thats what it is.

When you said you put the MB in you said you put all the pci cards in etc. Now, what if one of those cards caused your first MB to die in the first place. Changing the chip didn't help much. Changing the MB put you back where you were before. Changing the power supply didn't help either.

Ergo, all thats left is the PCI/AGP cards and drives.

Rip it all out and start over.

Yes, Thats all you can do, start small and work your way up. Get the minimum in and working first, far less to troubleshoot.

assuming thats what you meant, i did so.

nothing.

switched video cards

nothing.

slowly running out of options here. possibly a bad motherboard from the place i bought it from?

on a lighter note, id like to dedicate this post (#69) to the ladies.

- cam

Ok, have a go at changing the MB, when you get the new one ( notice the positive "when" ) just start with the motherboard a known working video card, known working ram and your new chip.

BTW I know this is daft but I've done it once or twice, new motherboards wont boot without a fan attached to the power plug on board. you could'nt of accidentaly left/pulled it off in all the faffing about ?

Glad to see you can keep a sense of humour :D

fan was attached and all.. do you think i fried the motherboard somehow or was it faulty from the get go?

[edit] this one goes out to xsivforce ;D

cam

Originally posted by Bytes back
Would you settle for #302 ? ;)
Coming from you Bytes back? You bet. *sniff* :()
edit: and you too, cam. Hope this gets figured out for you. I have been checking the posts to see how you are doing.

If one of your PCI cards is duff then yes, you could have fried the MB (did this once with a duff TV card, Gothic still won't let me forget it ).

If you feel you have, still have a go at returning it and they would have a hard time proving it :D

so how am i supposed to know which of my pci cards is a motherboard killer so that i can toss it out the window and urinate on it? =p

Originally posted by cam
so how am i supposed to know which of my pci cards is a motherboard killer so that i can toss it out the window and urinate on it? =p

First you need one chair, 1 desk light, Several dozen evil looking torture instruments.

Tie each card to the chair one by one and shine the light onto them. Demand to know which one did it. ( dress up in an SS uniform if this helps ) Feel free to use Vices and things. This should crack even the most hardened card.

If they don't confess then it's time for the ultimate threat. Wait for a passing thunderstorm and tie a cable to the card, on the other end tie a kite. Fly the kite into the storm. The thought of being blown up should crack even the most difficult MB killer.

Seriously, It's very difficult if you don't have a big pile of old parts lying around. The easiest way is to get hold of a cheap crap motherboard ( preferably pc chips ! ) and plug cards into it till it fries.

sheesh.

my cards:

agp geforce 2 mx400 tvout
pci network cards (2)
pci soundblaster live

any of those prone to bending a motherboard over and taking it for a ride?

Cam,

I was talking to another tech today and he says he's seen this cycle before.

It goes something like this..........

First your chip overheats, this kills your MB. the now dead MB promptly burns out your ailing chip.

You plug a new chip in, the MB promptly blows it again ( mainly )
You try another MB, the ailing chip promptly blow the M which permanantly kill the chip. and so on

The only way to break the cycly is a new MB and Chip at the same time.

Not sure if agree with all of this but it is another perspective.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back