Need help with partitions!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by G-Lizard86, Jan 8, 2003.

1. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Okay this is the case, first i had a 40 western digital, with windows on one standalone primairy partition, the rest is for music and stuff and is logical, now i've bought a 80 gig wd, which is much faster, now i want windows on that hard drive, so i made partitions, one primairy and the rest logical, i made a ghost of the original windows partition and put it on the primairy one on the 80 gig drive. Then i made the new drive master, and the 'old' one slave. Now i don't know where windows is running from, from the C: original on the 40 gig, or on D: on the 80 gig? and how do i change it?

2. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

dont know :eek:

what I would do

put in one hdd : - install XP onto it
    then
    put in your second hdd
    now you can access that drive to get to your image
    & XP will be installed to "C"

hope that helps

:cool:

3. Burpster

Burpster Guest

cant you set it in the bios to boot from only C drive??

4. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

euhhmm...i don't know...gonna have a look, don't really know what u mean....(both)...

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Here's what I did:
    1. Plug in the new drive.
    2. Set up the partitions and format them.
    3. Use Ghost to clone the drives. Don't make an image.
    4. Remove the old drive.
    5. The new drive boots up and becomes C:.
    6. Plug the old drive back in, but as slave this time.
    7. Repartition and format the old drive.

6. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

ohkay i'll try that...the problem is that i renamed the partitions, now the new one is C: the old one D:, and i made the new one allready master, and the old one allready slave. but it's now still booting from the old, D:....so i'm gonna try your way...thanks!

7. Zedric

Does it boot from the new drive if you unplug the old drive?

Oh, yes, you must set the first partition on the new drive as "active" in order to boot from it. I did that with an (old) Win98SE boot disk. Win 98 can't read NTFS but fdisk can at least identify them, so setting it as active works.

8. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

yeah that's what i've been looking for, how to set it active, btw, haven't tried yet to unplug the old drive, cuz i first have to move the data, and i'm doing that now, i'll try that first, and if that doesn't work, how do i deactivate the old windows, and how do i activate the new one, cuz i don't have a win98 boot disk or anything...

9. Zedric

10. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Ohkay...thanks gonna try that...

11. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Well i've used that bootdisk from win98, and i set the new partition as active, also the new disk is master, and the new partition is now called C:, and now it does boot from C: (the new one) but it says that this file hal.dll is missing or damaged, what do i do now?

12. Zedric

Some part of the ghosting must have gone wrong. Try redoing it. You could just replace the file I guess, but that would risk keeping other damaged files.

13. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Well i replaced the file with the one from the original windows partition, but still the same....

14. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

LOL...I always just reformat and reinstall everything. :p

Melon

15. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Yeah but i gotta lot of programs, and i don't wanna reinstall everything, with the licenses and stuff....

16. Zedric

And that's why I want you to try and ghost the disk again from the beginning. The old disk is still intact is it not?

17. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Yeah it's still working, cuz the only way i can boot now, is from the original disk...so...i'm gonna try again...

18. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

try using Powerquest Drive Image.. I find it works very well for XP Pro..

19. G-Lizard86

G-Lizard86 Guest

Okay i'm gonna try that then...