Need Help With Old Motherboard

G

ghettorare

Alright, i have an old computer that i took apart to make a new one, now i want to go back and start the old one but for some reason it only turns on when i plug into the wall and it turns on for like 4 seconds and then it turns off, and hittin the power on switch button wont work, i have to unplug it from the wall again, wait a few seconds then plug it back, then it will turhn on for another 4 seconds and then turn off and this will continue all day long.

Specs of old motherboard:
GA-71XE AMD 751/756 chipset/ Amd Athlon 600mhz Slot A\266MB RAM, 30GB HD\CDRW 24x4x24x\SB LIVE\3D annihilator Geforce 2.
any have any idea what could be the prob?
PSU 300 Watts.

the computer use to work fine until i move the Hard drive, soundcard, and video card..and since i got a newer, bigger HD, and better Sound card and Video card, i put the old one back and tried to get it runnin and ...well ya'll know what happens. if anyone could have an idea on how to help me wit this issue it would be great help. thanx.

it might be too old for this, but maybe it's not detecting a cpu fan spinning so it shuts itself off? my old kt133 board has this ability.

try to go into the bios and look for that setting or make sure a fan is plugged into the cpu_fan header on the mobo.

^^ yeah one of the fans is not spinning, i thinks its messed up. but the system wont turn on long enough for me to disable that feature in the BIOS... you think gettin a new CPU fan should help? or is there somethin else that can do it? is there a way to bypass that whole CPU fan shutting my pc down setting?

Originally posted by ghettorare
^^ yeah one of the fans is not spinning, i thinks its messed up. but the system wont turn on long enough for me to disable that feature in the BIOS... you think gettin a new CPU fan should help? or is there somethin else that can do it? is there a way to bypass that whole CPU fan shutting my pc down setting?
try clearing the cmos. do this by turning off the power supply, changing the cmos jumper, pressing the power button on the case a few times, changing the jumper back, and turning the power supply back on. should give you default bios settings and you might be able to get in.

otherwise find another fan and plug it into the "cpu_fan" header on the mobo so it detects a spinning fan.

You don't need to power up the system to clear cmos and should not it can cause the bios to erase.

With power off Just move the cmos jumper to the other two pins for a minute then put it back. After that turn on the power supply.

If the CPU FAN is not spinning then DON'T turn on the system. You could fry the CPU in less than a minute.

^^ but you think that could be the problem on why it dont turn on? that one of the fan's not workin?

Originally posted by LeeJend
You don't need to power up the system to clear cmos and should not it can cause the bios to erase.

With power off Just move the cmos jumper to the other two pins for a minute then put it back. After that turn on the power supply.
i just gave my little cmos-clearing walkthough because i've encountered some boards where simply moving the jumper won't do it. with those, i would have to turn off the PS (so no more power is being fed to the capcitors), move the jumper, press the power button a few times (to clear out any remaining power from the capacitors) and put the jumper back and turn her back on.

but yes, with most you should be able to simply move the cmos jumper over for a second then back to it's original position.
Originally posted by ghettorare
^^ but you think that could be the problem on why it dont turn on? that one of the fan's not workin?
it's possible. if there isn't a fan plugged into the cup_fan header or it's not spinning, that could cause the board to automatically shut down once it's powered up. it's a safety feature.

i got it a new fan still givin me the same ol, i'ma try that jumper power thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back