Need help with new wireless router....

Everhart

OSNN Junior Addict
Recently bought a Belkin Wireless G Router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493)

Already have a Local Area Network set up between 2 desktop computers using a wired router in the household and both computers can access internet (broadband) at any time.

Also bought a laptop previously to wireless router so I wish to:
1) Replace wired router with Belkin Wireless G Router but only the laptop will be running wirelessly (the desktop computers will still use wires even on the new router)
2) Set up new Local Area Network with the 2 desktop computers and the new laptop (all 3 of which I wish to be able to access the internet)

Can anybody help please? Any feedback VERY much appreciated!

From Liam Brown (aka Everhart)

P.S. If you wish to chat with me on the subject, my MSN Messenger email is everhart@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks again people!

What I would suggest initially is swapping your wireless router with your wired router, plugging the two desktops in and making sure they work.

Once that is confirmed, tackle the wireless aspect. There really shouldn't be anything else to it for the desktops, except maybe a reboot of the machines.

Do you have Cable or DSL?

Another thing - Routers typically come with instructions for setting up wireless connections, you may want to try that and post specific questions rather than a complete step-by-step guide based question. It will be easier to assist you if you get stuck at certain points.

Good luck :)

The change over should be effortless for the wired computers unless you (or the installer) did something ugly like manually assign the IP addresses for the computers. If left to itself windows and the router will take care of that.

The other trouble may be if the old router is set to log you in to your ISP automatically. Some ISPs require this many do not.

Like Kcnychief said. Just swap the router. Odd's are it will work fine.

When you get to the wireless make sure to turn the security protocol ON. Select a secure password (numbers and letters and don't use words or names).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back