Need help with CPU multiplier speed.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kuja, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

Ok, here goes.

I bought a Tbird 1.4 ghz, and was thinking it would work on my GA-7ZM mobo. Wrong. It "works", but... I can't get the fsb higher then 110, before it goes kookoo, and crashes games. Now, I need some help increasing the multiplier for my cpu..... any ideas on what software to do this with?

EDIT. BTW, its a 133/266 X 10.5 one, not the 100/200 X 14 one.....

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

?

According to the gigabyte website your board cannot support that cpu maybe you should go look there I downloaded the cpu list and it says that the athelon 1.4 is not able to run on that board sorry mate

its says you can do the 14/200 though not the 10.5/266

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

translated 14/200 = 100fsb 14x clock mulitplier... which I can't see happening... I doubt your cpu supports 14x multiplier...

and the 10.5/266 = 133fsb and 10.5 clock multiplier..

what you are running is probably around 10.5 x 110fsb...

if your board can't support it... get a new board... new boards are pretty cheap nowadays...

else you might cause some damage...

do NOT increase... if your board allows you to do it.. to 200fsb....

you'll kill something...

4. Shamus MacNoob

Yes 200/266 is 100/133 they say that on the site and it is possible for the 100/200 to do the 14 unless they are wrong in listing that , but it says that the 133/266 is set to 10.5 sorry if I posted wrong

5. Sazar

no you are not wrong kermit... but I was thinking perhaps not everyone will think that 200/266 fsb listed is actually 100/133 fsb... it becomes 200/266 due to adding up and down information flow.... :)

your post was fine m8

6. Shamus MacNoob

Right on!!!

coolies just makin sure we all on same page , as you were also !!

;)

7. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

Re: ?

Ya, it says it cant support the 10.5/266, but unfortunatly it was the only one i could buy at the time. Im now looking for something that would change the multiplier, so i can run the cpu at 14/(100/200)..... if thats not possible, then oh well...

8. Shamus MacNoob

Re: Re: ?

Dam thats not an easy one the only thing I know of that I read was a duron in the L1 section on the chip the lazer cuts a very small line between certain points on the face off the cpu and if you take a lead pencil << no joke and very carefully scrape the gap it fills in and your 100 fsb becomes 133 fsb and you are good to go ,, I know this has nothing to do with your cpu ( ? ) would making a gap on the right section cutting a fine line on the face cause a 133 fsb to become a 100 fsb ?? good point need to find a site that is heavy into the over clocking in this case under clocking . Like I said I have no idea just letting you in on what I know .........

9. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

No, no..... :S..... its not the FSB i wan't to modify.... its the multiplier.... the fsb i can modify fine on-bios.... :S i was thinkin there might be a software way of doing this...... hmm.

10. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

you need to unlock the cpu only way to change its multiplier, there is no software that can do this u have to take the cpu out and do it by hand with a pencil, then u can "underclock" it in the bios. *THERE IS NO OTHER WAY*

11. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

hmm...... i see. thx. i was thinkin that with tbirds you woudnt have to do the graphite trick, but oh well.... i'll look into it further...... thx for the help guys.

12. Sazar

you can mess around with multipliers in the bios.. but have to drop it lower than or equal to what it is set by default..

pencil rule applies to the athlons... not athlon XP's where you have to physically etch in the ceramic :) takes patience et al..

13. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

sazar XP's are organic no ceramic xp's exists and u don't etch u fill the laser locks with something that isn't conductive then bridge over that with something that is.

14. Montreal

Montreal Guest