Need Help!!! Setting Up a Network

X

xk_2hot4u

Allright fellas, I have two computers. Now the one upstairs has the dsl internet connection and is running off of Windows 98 or 95. The other one is in the basement. Its a brand new computer with XP and I was hoping that u could give me some help in acquiring the pieces and setting up the hardware. The primary need of the network is too be able to run off the dsl upstairs and get off my damn dial-up connection. Thks alot in advance for the people that help me with my dilemma.

Ok there are two main ways.

1. The Hardware Way
Buy a DSL router (commonly also called broadband firewall). Plug the DSL modem (unless it'd USB) into one end of the router and the computers into the other end. Use straight CAT5 cables. Set the computers to automatic IP.
You may have to configure the router depending on your ISP, the default settings in the router and so on. Consult the manual.
+ Easy
- More expensive

Code:
      DSL
       |
     ROUTER
     /    \
   PC1    PC2

2. The Software Way
Get a second network card (NIC) and put it into the computer you want the dsl on. Then use router software (such as MS ICS (in 98SE/ME/XP) or third party like WinRoute) to set up the connection. Plug the other computer into the first one using a twisted cable or using two straight cables and a hub or switch in between. Set the client computers to automatic IP.
+ Less expensive (unless you have to buy software)
- Double NIC:s may cause trouble sometimes.
- You may have to buy the router software.
- PC1 must be on in order to use PC2.

Code:
    DSL
     |
    PC1
     |
    PC2

*pheu*

Thks alot bro. I'll definately go with options 1. Seeing that in option 2 the computer would have to be on for me to connect to the internet and that I dont have a server, I'll stick with the broadband firewall. P.S any suggestions on a quality but affordable broadband firewall? Once again thks man

Pretty much anything will do. People around here seem to like Linksys, but D-Link or Netgear (nice design :)) are also good.
If you want REAL firewalling (DoS attack protection and such) you will have to pay a bit more. But for standard home use (surfing, games) anyone will do. Just make sure you get:

1. NAT
2. DHCP
3. Preferably web based configuration interface (instead of Telnet)
4. Built in switch (4-port or more)
5. PPPoE capability (if you have DSL)

Enjoy! :)

Thks alot for the help guys. Its very much appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back