Need help removing heatsink

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eiji, May 3, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ Varispeed HSF on my AMD Athlon XP 2000 CPU which is hooked up to a ASUS A7V333.

I've never removed a heatsink but I have installed a few.

The Volcano 7+ is a huge heatsink and I've read many people damaged their CPU in removing it.

Can anyone provide some good tips on removing this particular heavyweight heatsink+fan without damaging the CPU and what tools I would need?

Thanks.

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Unclip it and lift it off.... its not hard...

3. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

If it wont come off by lifting it, dont be afraid to twist it... This will break the thermal greese or pad off the heatsink and cpu. Granted you will need to clean both before applying a new Heatsink and more greese. After you twist it to break the "seal" just lift it off.

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

If you are nervous then run the rig UNDER LOAD for at least an hour first - this will warm the compound and may make the separation a little easier.... I am surprised Lord did not remember this tip.... ;) :p

5. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

Its those darn Socket A clips of the Thermaltake that are very tight!

I don't want to end up damaging the socket or CPU.

I plan to replace it with the Coolermaster X-Dream III.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Use a screw driver or pair of small needle nose pliers to grab the clip and pull it down so it will slip past the tab on the socket (I prefer the pliers, less chance of a gouged MB).

Push down lightly on the hsf to keep the pressure on the CPU even while disengaging the clip. Do not tilt or rotate the HSF that will chip the edges of the cpu die!

Once the clip is off slowly release the pressure on the hsf and lift it off.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Hehe you used that arctic silver branded super glue and screwed that zalman on the thing though :D

99% of the other HSFs in the world dont try and murder the guy taking them off :D

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Talking of arctic silver... how much of it do you guys put on when installing a HSF? Is it a very thin layer or a thick layer?

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Thin, all it is there to do is fill in the small voids in the surface of the heatsink. If you use more than you need it acts as an additional insulator.

10. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

Thanks for your help people.

Going to purchase the Coolermaster on Friday and hopefully I won't end up :dead: