NEED help finding vid card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by canadian_divx, Aug 10, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

ok near the middle of setpember i am gonna buy a new video card. but what one, i need something that can do 3d work like maya and 3d max good but still b able to play games good. i was looking at the ati 9800128 and the nvidia 5900128 but would it be usefull to go to 256 becase of thelarge textures from 3D creation??? i got a total of 900$ to spend but canadian funds
  2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

you already have a Geforce4 Ti4600...

what's wrong with it?
  3. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Radeon 9800 Pro :D
  4. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

the 4600 leggs on the large texture files like fur or water
  5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    if you are working in 3d situations.. professional like... I recommend getting either the 256mb version of the desktop cards... or getting quadro FX or fireGL cards from nvidia/ati respectively...

currently nvidia has the upperhand in professional support for openGL... and if that is what you will be working with.. it may be better for you to buy nvidia...

the ati cards are a little slower... but a lot cheaper...

the 256mb would definitely help... especially where large amounts of textures are being used... it reduces swapping... therefore keeping framerates high :)
  6. Brando457

Brando457 Guest

I d get the 128 Radeon 9800 pro or the 256 i have teh 128 AIW tis awesome
  7. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

So do I ( especially PowerColor ) but don't forget what Sazar said : " or getting quadro FX or fireGL cards from nvidia/ati respectively... "