Soho 10/100 NIC - PCI - Internet connection sharing
Adaptec SCSI card - PCI - HP scanner 4p
WD 80gb HD 7200 rpm
Plextor 24/10/40 CD-RW
Originally installed with Windows ME
Upgraded to Windows XP Pro

All of the latest XP drivers available

My problem is this:

The ATI video capture card was acting up. It seemed to be an IRQ conflict. So I decided to shut the system down and rearrange the PCI cards to try and coordinate the IRQ's better.

Well when I put it all back together and plugged it back in and powered up, XP would no longer identify the Creative Audigy card and its components correctly ?

I have done everything I could think of which included:

Putting the cards back in the original order
Removing all the PCI cards and reinstall one by one
Uninstalling all the related software
Reinstalled XP
Removed Creative Audigy comments in registry
Ran MS regclean

None of the above seem to work.

I have downloaded all the new drivers and they did not work (ATI Radeon, ATI video capture, and the Creative Audigy)

The problem is that XP identifies the Creative Audigy card as "Creative Audigy sound card (WDM) )

But it does not activate the 1394 ports, the wave support, or the game controller.

I installed the original Audigy drivers and when I went to install the updated drivers it says no Sound Blaster Audigy card present".

Even after I install the original drivers the 1394 ports do not activate in device manager.

I tried to install the new VIA 4.40 drivers and the system crashed ! It did not like the VIA AGP driver for some reason and I had to go back in and uninstall them. Now my system is running real sluggish and I think I may have some registry problems.

For some reason XP is refusing to correctly Identify the sound card.

I read something on Microsofts XP site about a file called factory.exe, will this help restore the drivers?

I have ran out of ideas and need help ASAP, my entire network is down waiting for this.

Is there anyway I can force XP to rebuild the registry and driver database ?

You can email me if you would like at; calvus@attbi.com or contact me on AIM & Yahoo messengers at SparkyHolden.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Respectfully;

Calvus

try this,

Here is a definite solution :

Why do I get the message "data is invalid" when installing a device driver under WindowsXP?

This error appears to be due to a protection problem in the Windows registry and can occur with a variety of drivers (sound cards and SCSI drivers have been reported). To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "regedit" without the quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Curr
entControlSet\ENUM\PCI

and you will see a number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install. Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with the installation of your device.

Look for creative audigy audio processor,ohci compliant ieee 1394 host controller and creative game port.

fitfella29

Thanks.

I am backing up my data right now onto cd's and etc. I will try this the first chance I get.

I tried to do a repair with XP this morning and I had 4 out of 5 PCI cards out of the computer and the system crashed. I frantically tried to get it back but kept saying no hard drive found !

I put 3 of the PCI cards back in and it booted right up. :)

As they say, change nore than 3 items in the computer with XP and forget it !

Calvus

I'am still in the process of backing up my files and etc.

The WMI (Windows Managements Instrumentation) files are corrupt or missing and I am trying to go as careful as I can.

They must have been corrupted when the system crashed while installing the VIA 4.40 drivers. For some reason XP and the computer did not like the VIA AGP drivers. The system immediately crashed and gave me the blue screen of death. After the installtion, it removed the setup and files from my computer. I had to go back to the VIA site to get the driver installation program. But when I did they had removed the 4.40 copies. I luckily found a single copy of the AGP installation that was included in the 4.40 and got them uninstalled from the computer.

I still have not founf out why it refuses to recognize the Creative Audigy. I tried the XP repair without the PCI cards and I mentioned in my last reply what happened. The system crashed and would no longer recognize the C: drive as being there. After thinking I had lost everything and was going to be reinstalling from scatch. I put three cards back in and it immediately booted up. I am still going to be reinstalling from scratch but at least I have all my files back.

I am seriously thinking of removing XP from the system, If Bill is going to be this strict about me removing cards and trying to repair my system I may as well go back to another OS.

Any other help or comments will be welcomed.

Calvus

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back