Need Help Asap. Windows wont start!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by CONSTANTINE, Feb 19, 2006.

1. CONSTANTINE

CONSTANTINE OSNN One Post Wonder

Last night i uninstalled and then reinstalled photoshop and for some reason that messed up my computer. I restarted and got a invalid boot.ini error and then it goes into windows but all i see is a cursor and nothing happens. I checked the hard drive and it does have errors and i rebuilt bootcfg but still nothing. All i want is to get my pictures off that thing! help!

2. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Well, If you know that the Windows is that pooched no matter how you try to resucitate the boot manager, about the only other way now is to slave the Hard drive in another machine, remove all your important stuff and do a fresh install.

Welcome to OSNN!!!!!!

Heeter

3. CONSTANTINE

Thanks for the fast reply Heeter. Yea im realizing that more and more but will that be possible to do if i put it as a slave on another computer? Or even install a fresh copy of winxp on a hard drive and then put my messed up hard drive as a slave? oh and i just realized, i had a converter on this hard drive so its SATA but if i put it as a slave on an IDE calbe will it work?

4. Heeter

Windows will pick up the drive, assign it a new letter, and list it.

Your second option sounds like a good choice.

Sometimes, you will enable it in the disk mangler, but it happens pretty rare. You don't lose files doing that. Never done that to me.

Heeter

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

why not try a repair install first?

6. Heeter

To my understanding, AM

He has tried that, as well as the Recovery Console (bootcfg), to no avail.

Heeter

7. CONSTANTINE

Thanks again heeter. I hooked the hd as a slave and as we speak im burning all my data onto dvds. I owe you one! :)

8. Heeter

No Problem,

Glad your part of the team here,

Heeter