Need clarification, opinions on Page filing

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Think, May 16, 2002.

1. Think

Think Guest

I found a link concerning the moving of the page file to a seperate partition other than that of the operating system:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314482

I'm just wondering how this should be applied in my system.

Having partitioned my 120 hard drives as follows:

c: 6G for the operating system, XP office
    d: 20 G for games,photoshop and other applications
    G: 88G for movies, pictures, music

According to the article, I should create a partition on D then? and set it to the recommended settings that XP shows you in the page filing area?

I'm a little confused about this article. At this point I have NO page filing but I don't think it's a healthy measure to maintain.

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Hell man.. turn on your pagefile now!!..yikes!! :eek: you should always have a pagefile!

Its NOT recommended to have your swapfile on a seperate partition of the SAME drive. If you have 2 seperate drives, put it on the fastest one.so in your case, leave the pagefile on your C: drive.

If you had another seperate drive you could use that, but as you dont, it will be fastest on your c:

BIG drives are good in theory but in practice bad, because of this sort of thing.

I have 2 40gb drives.. both identical models, both masters, my pagefile is on one (its own partition, no other data - as M$ recommends) xp and stuff is on the other seperate drive.

As for size go with 768min-1536max for starters.. that should be plenty.

3. Static 99

Static 99 Guest

Take a look at this thread.

4. allan

allan Guest

5. Piett

Piett ...will circle this city

Another Question

So the swap file should not be on the other partition of the same physical drive as the os?

eg: c: winxp only (5gb)
    d: music, movies...
    e: apps (35gb, other half of the c: partition)

what you are saying is that it should be on d, at the veryleast. but in the best case, on it's own partition correct?

6. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

ok..to sum it up here how it goes

your swap file on a ONE PHYSICAL drive system should ALWAYS be on the partition that the OS is on...never another partition.

BUT, if you have a TWO PHYSICAL drive system, you should move your swap file to the other driver, and what partition it is on doesn't matter, just set the min/max values to the same and that will help avoid fragmentation just as well :)

hope that helps.

7. Static 99

Static 99 Guest

Hi Qumahlin

I just created a new (pagefile) partition on my second drive. (after reading your reply).
    But what about the advice from Microsoft to leave at least 2MB on the C drive for the small memory dump? Can i just turn the memory dump off?

8. Piett

Piett ...will circle this city

Thanks

Okay, that makes sence, thanks a lot Qumahlin. preciate it.

9. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

I personally turn memory dump off you cna do this under the startup + recovery section under advanced in your system control panel...when your computer crashes when was the last time you looked through your memory dump heheh

10. SessedOut

SessedOut Guest

I have mine set up like so:

C:\ - Windows XP and Program Files (13GB of 15GB Drive)
    D:\ - Games, Movies, Music, Downloads (60GB Drive)
    E:\ - SWAP and Temporary Internet Files (remaining 2GB of C:\)

For some reason I don't feel comfortable having it any other way, and I actually noticed a difference in performance when the swap was on the same partition as the system (i.e. C:\). I guess my advice would be to try different configurations and see what happens. But definately have a SWAP (pagefile) somewhere ;)