Need advise on getting either seagate or maxtor HD

D

Digerati

Just hoping for some input or advise on which hard drive I should get.

I can get either an 80gb 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda IV or an 80gb 7200 rpm Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 for about the same total cost.

The Maxtor is the latest model out, whereas the Seagate is a previous model (Seagate has Barracuda V's out now). The Maxtor also supports ata133 vs. ata100 with the seagate, though this doesn't really matter to me.

My main priorties are a stable drive that is QUIET!
My current maxtor 40gb drive makes more noise than I can tolerate, I hear it over my power supply and it drives me nuts. I want a drive that makes as little noise as possible. If it can do that, run reliably, and have good performance (doesn't have to be a speed demon, but just above average) then I'm a happy camper.

From what I've read, the Barracuda IV is certainly quiet, but the new Maxtor is supposedly pretty quiet too. All things being equal, I certainly wouldn't mind the latest technology, but my main priority of quiet and reliable performance.

Anyone got any advice?

ps - i can get a maxtor with an 8mb buffer as opposed to the 2mb that the other 2 drives have, it will cost about $20 more, worth it? does that change anything?

thanks!

Personally, I would go with the Maxtor. But, both are good drives.

sorry for the extended post, just thought i'd add a few bits of info.

my system is a PIII 750 running on an AOPEN ax6sp with a max of ata100 (that's why the ata133 doesn't really matter to me).

also, the maxtor i mentioned with 8mb buffer is also an 80gb 7200rpm Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9, just with a larger buffer.

thanks!

i'd go for the seagate. they are very quiet. i have both an ibm and western digital drive and they both make a **** load of noise, however i can't even hear the seagate if my ear is up against it.

From seagate.com:

Best combination of performance, acoustics and robustness

2.5 bels idle acoustics - the industry's best

SoftSonic (TM) FDB motor on every drive - Quietest acoustics on any desktop drive

I've got a Seagate Barracuda IV and when I first installed it I thought it was a broken because I couldn't here a peep out of it, but then I remember that the reason I bought it was because it's the quietest hard disk (at the time of purchase, roughly 8 months ago).

I've got a Maxtor 40Gb 7200rpm Plus 8 which has the fluid bearings although not all through out the drive like the Plus 9. I have it in a removable tray for easy access and I have never heard it make a noise once. I cant hear it when it reads or writes. I was really impressed cause the drive I had before was an IBM and I thought that was pretty quiet.

Anyway enough of my rantings. I would say both drives are pretty damn good and the 8Mb buffer MAY help speed the drive up under bussy loads but i dont think it'll make much difference. Personal choice really.

The Seagate Barracuda V is dead silent. I have a 120 GB one. It's "reading sound" is somewhat "louder" than my previous WD120SE though (which was _very_ silent on that part).

For what it's worth my maxtor has been pretty good. As for how loud it is ....you couldn't hear a jet take off over the sound of my fans:D :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back