Need a little advice on fans.

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Well after spending several hours woking on my heat issue and alot of testing, I came to the conclusion that I need better cpu cooling. So I ordered a Thernalright 800 heatsink to replace the POS heatsink that is currently taking up space, and now I am have a ruff time choosing a good 80mm fan. I am not worried about noise too much as this is my cpu and that is not the place to be picky about noise.

Any suggestions would be great as well as any good online retailers.

Originally posted by Nismo83
go for a thermal lake volcano 7+

Well that has a heatsink with it already doesn't it? I already have ordered a Thermalright 800 heatsink.

hey mav... you should try asking for advice before you've already ordered parts you're asking for advice on...

Originally posted by baser5nature
hey mav... you should try asking for advice before you've already ordered parts you're asking for advice on...

:confused: I wasn't asking for advice on a cpu heatsink, I was asking for advice on a FAN for my heatsink, so I am kinda confused as to your statement.

scriptasylum, thanks for the info.

Hi

I'm using the slk-800 on my AXP 2100+ @ 1913MHz
34C idle 39C load

The fan that i'm using and highly recommend is the
Mechatronics 80mm 53cfm 38db 4500rpm

Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions, and after hours of combing the web I think I am going to go with the 80mm Thermaltake Smart Case Fan 2. I think it will do what I need it to do. After hearing a sound byte for the Tornado, wow is that loud, I am going to pass on it for now.

fans

i would go with the thermaltake smart fans or a antec 80 mm smart fan, they both ahve the built in sensors to detect if they should un slower or not and with the thermaltake smartfan u can buy a fan controller for it :) i paid 15 for my antec ones at compusa :happy: hope this helps

the thermaltake smart case fans are OK, but i don't think they would be that good for OCing. i have them in my case and i don't think they would cool it for overclocking, let us know how it works out.

Originally posted by Jz1397-4
the thermaltake smart case fans are OK, but i don't think they would be that good for OCing. i have them in my case and i don't think they would cool it for overclocking, let us know how it works out.

Will do. Part of the reason I choose this fan was that for the CFM that it puts out it is pretty quiet. so I could run it on high full time with out excessive noise. If it dosen't work as well as I need it too I can always go with a more agressive fan. I should have everything by tues or wens, so I will keep everyone updated.

where did you get the video of the Tornado 80x38mm Ultra High Speed fan? i would love to hear how loud it is.

It's STINKIN loud, that's how loud it is. Like someone was vacuuming out the inside of your pc. I tried to hook it up to my volcano 7+ 3 pos. switch, which worked ok but at low setting, (3500 rpm) it was still way too loud. I installed a enermax 80x25 with a speed control, which is better than a generic 80mm, a little quieter and a little more oomph.

With the generic 80mm (Volcano on low), I was running 43-45c cpu, and there's no fun in that.

With the Tornado/Volcano combo on low, it was down to 40-41, ok but too loud.

(With the T/V on high it was down to 35, but the walls shook)

Now with the enermax set at 2700rpm, cpu is 40-41, as quiet as the generic or quieter. Ahhhhh.

(This is all using the various fans as a back of the case exit fan. 2 generic 80mm at the front low pushing in, and the Volcano 7+ set to low.)

kip

I'm slowly killing my 1.4 Athlon, same heatsink but my 80mm fan spins at an awesome speed of 2100 RPMs :D

53 - 59C oh well, I guess when it dies it's time for a new computer.:eek:

Originally posted by RazerBack
I'm slowly killing my 1.4 Athlon, same heatsink but my 80mm fan spins at an awesome speed of 2100 RPMs :D

53 - 59C oh well, I guess when it dies it's time for a new computer.:eek:

Well I am running a XP 2100+ with temps of 57 normal usage, and 61 with seti running. So I feel your pain as well. That is why I am working on my cpu and system cooling. I have 2 case fans both antec thermal fans, a Blue orb on my TI 4200, vantec iceberg copper vga cooler, and a dual fan harddrive cooler (generic), for the mobo chipset, and the stock heatsink and athlon fan for the cpu. And with all that, it is ****in loud!

i knocked 4c off my cpu by mounting an 80mm fan just infront of my hard disks. its amazing how hot ata100 hard disks can actually get running at 7200rpm. and its more amazing how people always tend not to cool the hard disk... thats probably whats upping the case temperature by almost 10c

Sorry, forgot that fan in my setup. I have a generic dual-fan harddrive cooler.

Originally posted by Maveric169
Well I am running a XP 2100+ with temps of 57 normal usage, and 61 with seti running. So I feel your pain as well. That is why I am working on my cpu and system cooling. I have 2 case fans both antec thermal fans, a Blue orb on my TI 4200, vantec iceberg copper vga cooler, and a dual fan harddrive cooler (generic), for the mobo chipset, and the stock heatsink and athlon fan for the cpu. And with all that, it is ****in loud!

Actually I'm doing it on purpose, I've tried different fans, and they are just too loud. With this combination the noise is just right. A soft low hummm. The temps are reasonable to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back