Need a battery backup.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BouncingSoul, Dec 29, 2005.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I've never had one of these before, but after losing power repeatedly and the resulting fried PSU I think I should get one. I don't know what I need, I'm guessing that I'll need one that is at least as powerful as my new PSU (500w) but that is a guess so feel free to correct me. Also what is a good brand and all that good stuff.

Thanks

2. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

Close.. anytime you get an UPS you need to take into consideration your ENTIRE system... and then go +20% (minimum) as a general rule that way if you upgrade and something needs more juice you already have it...

UPSs have come WAAAYY down in price you can by a decent one at any sams club or office type store now....

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

A decent power bar should protect your PSU from deep fry land.

mlakrid is right on.... +20% should amply cover the puter's needs. (no pun intended)

4. jcim05

jcim05 OSNN Junior Addict

+20% sounds about right. I have an APC that I got at staples. It works well for me.

5. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Thanks all, pricewatch here I come!

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Make sure you count everything you intent to power from the UPC. Computer, monitor, modem, hub, printer, etc.

Now comes the bad news. If you choose not to hook any of those items into the UPC lightning or power spikes can use the unprotected device as a back door into your PC.