Napster Set For Uk Launch

philchill

OSNN Junior Addict
Music download site NAPSTER is set to launch in the UK this summer with the backing of retail giant DIXONS.

The once huge file-sharing network relaunched in the US last October as a legitimate pay-for download service. In major competition with Apple’s iTunes, they announced first quarter sales of more than $6.1m (£3.4m) in the US.

Dixons will promote the new site by selling Napster-branded blank CDs, CD wallets and CD labelling kits. It will also promote the service through its own website.

Napster have not yet revealed a cost for their downloads, though in the US individual songs retail for 99 cents (£0.53) with full albums for around $10 (£5.33).

At one-time Napster’s file-sharing service had 60 million users and threatened the future of major record labels. A judge in the US closed it in 2001 citing copyright infringements. The company entered a period of flux that ended when they were bought by US firm Roxio and relaunched.

Source: NME.com

Haha, I'd hardly consider the competition against iTunes to be "major". iTunes is slaughtering Napster.

Napster had it's day, it should die gracefully.

Duno, I might take a look at the sony one. problem it, they will only offer ac3 format.
suits my MD. :p (not that I use it a lot)

Napster will never be like it used to be. All it is now is just a company being bought by a company that sux to make it suck also .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back