Napster Set For Uk Launch

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by philchill, May 7, 2004.

1. philchill

philchill OSNN Junior Addict

Music download site NAPSTER is set to launch in the UK this summer with the backing of retail giant DIXONS.

The once huge file-sharing network relaunched in the US last October as a legitimate pay-for download service. In major competition with Apple’s iTunes, they announced first quarter sales of more than $6.1m (£3.4m) in the US.

Dixons will promote the new site by selling Napster-branded blank CDs, CD wallets and CD labelling kits. It will also promote the service through its own website.

Napster have not yet revealed a cost for their downloads, though in the US individual songs retail for 99 cents (£0.53) with full albums for around $10 (£5.33).

At one-time Napster’s file-sharing service had 60 million users and threatened the future of major record labels. A judge in the US closed it in 2001 citing copyright infringements. The company entered a period of flux that ended when they were bought by US firm Roxio and relaunched.

Source: NME.com

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Haha, I'd hardly consider the competition against iTunes to be "major". iTunes is slaughtering Napster.

Napster had it's day, it should die gracefully.

3. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

I wont be napstering.
    I have a iPod, Joy ;)

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Duno, I might take a look at the sony one. problem it, they will only offer ac3 format.
    suits my MD. :p (not that I use it a lot)

5. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Napster will never be like it used to be. All it is now is just a company being bought by a company that sux to make it suck also .