My Vista Questions

You guys do have a point, I might just be in the part of missing XP, and so I am coming up with these questions. Or they could be stuff we should be able to have, who knows.

My next question.

I right click on Explore, that is what I am used to. In Vista it opens up into the Startmenu folder, being around all kinds of other folders that should be hidden. How do I make it so that it opens up in my downloads, or any other folder at that?

Go to properties and select the folders you want appearing and then select them either as links or menu's.

You guys do have a point, I might just be in the part of missing XP, and so I am coming up with these questions. Or they could be stuff we should be able to have, who knows.

My next question.

I right click on Explore, that is what I am used to. In Vista it opens up into the Startmenu folder, being around all kinds of other folders that should be hidden. How do I make it so that it opens up in my downloads, or any other folder at that?

Make a shortcut to your downloads folder, then either double-click it to Open it, or right-click it and choose Explore.

Go to properties and select the folders you want appearing and then select them either as links or menu's.

You can't add the Downloads folder to your Start Menu that way. Some other folders like Documents, yes, but not Downloads. Downloads isn't listed.

You can also open "Administrator" or whatever your account name is (your personal folder), and then from there open Downloads.

The latest question does not have to do with the Start Menu except for the fact that you right click on it. When you right click, Explore, that is what I would like to open in Downloads. And you can't create a shortcut to Downloads, it does not allow you to.

Can you create a key named downloads under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

Then go into folder options and point it to the folder you want to open?

This works in XP but not sure about Vista.

The latest question does not have to do with the Start Menu except for the fact that you right click on it. When you right click, Explore, that is what I would like to open in Downloads. And you can't create a shortcut to Downloads, it does not allow you to.

Ah, I didn't know that. You can right-click and Explore in many, many places so I didn't know where you do it. I don't even use Windows Explorer unless I have to or on new installations before I install Directory Opus (Windows Explorer replacement), but when I do open it I usually either use a shortcut I keep on my desktop for specific folders, or in general I right-click "Computer" in the Start Menu and choose Explore. Or if I'm going for a personal folder, then I choose Explore on "Administrator" (what my user account name is).

I just now created a shortcut to Downloads. I opened my personal folder "Administrator", right-clicked on Downloads and chose "Send To" and "Desktop". Created a shortcut on my desktop to the Downloads folder.

Alright, I got it to create a shortcut to my downloads. It is still not perfect because that way it is a bit harder to get to Program Files if I need to, but I think for now it's good.

Thanks.

Alright, I got it to create a shortcut to my downloads. It is still not perfect because that way it is a bit harder to get to Program Files if I need to, but I think for now it's good.

Thanks.

Your welcome. Why not create a shortcut to Program Files? :)

Because I am picky and miss XP lol, in XP I could right click Explore and I was 2 seconds away from both, I don't want 20 shortcuts hahaaa. This is fine either way, thanks again.

In that case, the closest thing which would put you as you say 2 seconds away from either would be to right-click on "Computer" in the Start Menu and choose Explore.

I just use Filebox Extender which gives me one click access to whatever I choose to add to the list.

I just use Filebox Extender which gives me one click access to whatever I choose to add to the list.

The reason I don't use programs is because I enjoy knowing that my system is actually clean and organized. Programs tend to just put a nice face ontop of it.

Interesting, a free program to do this and compatible with Vista too. I had been searching for one but couldn't find a free one before. I'll have to give it a try.

Under XP I had been using Dialog Box Assistant, but it hasn't been updated in years now and my support questions asking if they'll update for Vista and Office 2007 have gone unanswered.

I had been considering buying Direct Folders and I may still, depending on what my tests of Filebox Extender result in.

Thanks.

I know you are talking about folders and such, but keep in mind you can do a lot of cool stuff with Windows Desktop Search. Not so much with "explorer" activities - but with an alias you can open a program from the CMD line, which will negate your need to have a cluttered desktop or quicklaunch for program shortcuts.

Check out NetRyder's review for more detail on it, maybe it would be useful to you?

http://netryder.osnn.net/wds.pdf

So another question, or more like a wondering.

I have seen many top 10 lists and such about Vista.

When just installing Vista, what do you suggest to hack/tweak/add to it?

I use vLite to create a custom unattended Vista installation CD for every installation I do. The same way i use nLite to do the same for Windows XP/2000/2003. I shy away from post-install all-in-one tweaking programs other than "official" Microsoft programs like TweakUI for XP and lower.

With vLite, I make it so that I use the actual Administrator account instead of a quasi-Administrator account. Completely bypasses UAC (User Account Control) which for a power user like me is completely uneccessary. Also some other various (I haven't documented them) features in Vista behave differently when I use the actual Admin account, and I prefer the way they act then. I'll post more about what I add to my Vista installation after it's actually installed.

So another question, or more like a wondering.

I have seen many top 10 lists and such about Vista.

When just installing Vista, what do you suggest to hack/tweak/add to it?

Be a good idea to develop your own list if possible as well as integrate some items from others best practices. You seem to still like XP quite a bit so going with classic looks in certain apps within Vista would probably be a good idea.

I personally don't advise hacking the OS much at all, especially as a new user of Vista because you never know when something you disabled may come in handy (new hardware install, for example)

I am not knew to Vista, I had it when it first came out, I just didn't keep it. And yes, I would make my own list as well, I'd like to see what is good to add to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back