My nVidia caused the crash or.....?

N

Nedreplan

I was deeply involved in playing "Rise Of Nations" when suddenly the screen went black, the monitor even went into standby..could not get it started, no matter what button on the keyboard I pushed..or moved the mouse. The sound was still there. I hade to press the reset button, then it started like nothing had happened. In the logg file i got a Save Dump logging.

Now, I do not have the the codes and numbers there, but it only said that "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" and "A dump was saved in: C:\xxxx...." and so on...

I use Geforce FX 5600 Ultra 256 Mb @ 4x AGP.
I use driver 44.03 downloaded from nVidia homepage.
I use two 512 Mb PC2100 DDR memory sticks (Samsung CL2.5).
There is only 2 slots for memory on my MoBo (max 1Gb per slot)
DirectX 9.0b
No OC'ing.

Could it be something with the card, memory..or driver?
Anyone have any idea.. or was it just one of those moments that can happen during gameplay...has not happened to me before.

Thanks for the help!

:)

Have you tried lowering the screen resolution for the game? If it is high you might have too.

I run it on 100Hz @ 1024x768... My monitor supports up to 120 Hz at that resolution...

Thanks for the idea! :)

Originally posted by Nedreplan
I was deeply involved in playing "Rise Of Nations" when suddenly the screen went black, the monitor even went into standby..could not get it started, no matter what button on the keyboard I pushed..or moved the mouse. The sound was still there. I hade to press the reset button, then it started like nothing had happened. In the logg file i got a Save Dump logging.

Now, I do not have the the codes and numbers there, but it only said that "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" and "A dump was saved in: C:\xxxx...." and so on...

I use Geforce FX 5600 Ultra 256 Mb @ 4x AGP.
I use driver 44.03 downloaded from nVidia homepage.
I use two 512 Mb PC2100 DDR memory sticks (Samsung CL2.5).
There is only 2 slots for memory on my MoBo (max 1Gb per slot)
DirectX 9.0b
No OC'ing.

Could it be something with the card, memory..or driver?
Anyone have any idea.. or was it just one of those moments that can happen during gameplay...has not happened to me before.

Thanks for the help!

:)

might have been anything really...

usually if it is video card related you normally get a little msg saying such and such file was involved and should see nv something or other in the name...

I really can't even begin to imagine what it was if it was a bug-check...

could it possibly have been an automated service running in the backround concurrently with your app... and crashing it ?

I know I have had to turn off my norton autoupdate feature since I'll be playing online and my ping will just spike and game almost freeze when it updates automatically lol...

sad thing is... my fps remains almost unchanged :D which makes it even more annoying that I can't move :)

Next time you're playing the game drop out after about 15 minutes and check your case and CPU temperatures as fast as you can to see if the gaem is overheating the system or cpu.

If the temp's are ok (less than 40/55 deg C), and if it doesn't happen again, don't worry about it.

I get a lock up like that every month or so. The operating system is getting totally lost and can't recover so it can't read the keyboard interrupts. The reset key is a hardware reset that reboots the machine.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back