My New System

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by Admiral Michael, May 4, 2007.

1. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Hey Guys (and gals),

I just built a new desktop and was wondering what you thought. Here's the specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (89W)
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
    Video Card: 2x BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB (SLI Enabled)
    Storage:Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 620W ATX 12V Ver2.2 Power Supply
    Case: Thermaltake XaserIII V2000A (Reused from old desktop)

Edit: Added pic. Note that the side panel is actually from a Thermaltake Armor (got it from a friend) which is why the top latch is missing. I will have to mod the case to get the latch to fit.
    Edit2: Updated some specs and want to add URL for more pics: http://www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com/other/Computers/Evan/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2007
    indyjones likes this.
  2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Congratulations Admiral. What OS did you go with?

3. Admiral Michael

Well first I tried XP Pro x64 but the lack of drivers for some of my hardware made me switch back. That and the lack of a performance gain as well.

I've tried Vista Ultimate (even have a free copy for being a beta tester) but I despise it entirely. So I'm using XP Pro x86.

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Congrats very cool dude

5. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

nice case and psu...

just a question... why didn't you go for a core2?

6. Admiral Michael

AMD Fan. Oh and my friend was going to give me his CPU as well but the store didn't have the one he wanted so he gave me $100 to put towards one.

7. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

ah, cool then

8. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Glad its not just me who spends too much time tidying cables :)

9. Admiral Michael

Just let me add that I was having issues and learned OCZ and ASUS don't always play well together so I bought Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit to replace the OCZ and it's been clear sailing since. I also thought my PSU was underpowered as the mobo manual recommends at least a 600W so I upgraded to a Enermax Liberty 620W ATX 12V Ver2.2 Power Supply.

I updated the info in the first post. Oh and I took some pics:
    http://www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com/other/Computers/Evan

10. indyjones

Hmmm interesting to know as i was planning on coupling those two brands (OCZ and ASUS) more reading to do....

11. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

any particular reason for going 2 x 512 and not 2 x 1 gb, ram prices are so cheap now.

12. Admiral Michael

Well Mostly is was money, those cost me about $150 and I had to charge it. I needed my system running and couldn't wait.

Also it's the only Kingston kit they had. They didnt have any of the 2x 1GB kit in stock also that kit wasn't the high performance ram with the heat spreaders (which I think look awesome).

13. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Check their website, they publish known working memory makes & models for their motherboards.

E.g. I have a M2N-SLI deluxe mobo and here is the qualified vendors list: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-SLI%20Deluxe/M2N-SLI_Deluxe_QVL.zip

I have 2X1024MB GEIL's in my rig which isn't on the list [since they published after I bought it] but they work fine.

LeeJend likes this.
  14. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Isn't that interesting. No OCZ on the entire ASUS list.

Glad you posted that. FRY's is selling OCZ ddr2 6400 dirt cheap (2x1gb for $79 after rebate) and I was going to buy some to start accumulating parts for the next system. If asus has an issue then I'm not going to risk it since I won't be using the RAM for months.

15. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Yea, but like I said, the GEIL ram I have isn't on that list but I haven't had any issues. Might not be a bad idea to stick with what they say work though.

EDIT: That list is for the M2N-SLI Deluxe, I am not sure if each motherboard has its own list or if that is for all ASUS boards.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  16. indyjones

Although its really old now, I have not had problems running OCZ in my A7N8x 2.0, and I am now running GEIL. However each motherboard is different so I don't doubt that OCZ does not play well with your board. Also I dont blame you going with AMD, I am going to go with Intel on my new system and it very confusing to know what chipset to go for, as least with AMD its easy and you went for the best :)

17. Admiral Michael

18. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

nice choices...I would look at this as well since intel is probably less than a month away from drastic price cuts...

19. Admiral Michael

That would be good. I'm not sure who I'd sell my CPU and mobo to. If I could even sell it.

Altho if the Intel drops the prices then it would be alot better for me as I still have to pay off my credit card (I put my laptop on it as well as other things).

This Intel idea was a thought, just wanted to see if I picked good components.

20. saeltmarae2k

saeltmarae2k OSNN Addict

I'm running that chip right now...and its niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Just get a better cooler. I went with Zalman...they never let me down.