My Network Places on 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by ptltruck, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ptltruck

ptltruck OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi There,

Can anyone tell me why one of my workstations ( a Dell computer ) can't show on My Network Places at all?

I need to show that workstation there, because I suspect that is the same reason I can't install the Norton Corporate client onto this Dell computer; it just doesn't list under the server and thus I can't push the installation!!

Regards,

Tony

2. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

Is this workstation on the network? Can you ping it?

3. ptltruck

It can be pinged. It is using windows xp pro.

4. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

have you tried rejoining the domain, I would start there.

5. ptltruck

No, it does not work by re-joining to domain again!

6. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

You can ping it by name as well as IP? is it only this ONE computer. Is there a duplicate comptuer name on your network? Just got haha's is there any firewall on that PC?

Try entering the DNS and WINS IPs manually instead of dynamicly.

7. ptltruck

I have two Dell computers that show the same issues. I did set the DNS and WINS manually and still failed to show up.

I however can still connect to the computers with their names such as \\dell1\c$ or right click to My Computer and left click to Manage.

What a strange case. I called to Dell Canada and they said their computers are good to use in Windows 2003 network environment and they did not provide to support for networking issue!!

8. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

check that the windows firewall isnt disabled as a service (services.msc).. if fw service is disabled you cannot view network places, but still can use network paths

9. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Did you disable any services?

Such as TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper? If so, set it back to automatic and start it. This service is needed in domain settings.

As for the Windows Firewall (comment above). That is not true. Most companies do not use the Windows Firewall in a domain environment. So leave it disabled. Unless you are talking about "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" service. This service is responsible for other things, even if the Windows Firewall is disabled. So obviously this service should be set to automatic and started.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  10. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

uh your repeating what i just said... lol
    ..but also saying that "its not true".. duh

11. madmatt

I was elaborating and making it clear that that service does more. Even if you disable the Windows Firewall that service is still required for various reasons, including the one you posted.

12. ptltruck

Hi, it is ptltruck again.

I just checked the Dell workstation again. It has the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper running automatically, that is the same as other non-Dell workstations.

The TCP/IP properties setting is automatically for both IP Address and DNS, that is also the same setting as other non-Dell workstations.

However, the My Network Places cannot see this Dell workstation at all. I need to push the Norton Corporate Client to this Dell workstation. I think I just copy the client installation into the Dell workstation to see if it can be installed without problem.

13. ptltruck

Just a reminder,

the WMI Windows Management Instrumentation is set to automatic and started. So it is not because the WMI is stop or disable.

14. madmatt

Did you check the ICS service?

15. ptltruck

Yes, ICS service is starting automatically.

16. ptltruck

Once I typed \\dell_1\c$, then I can see the screen shot as attached to this reply.

On the left hand side, you can see the Dell_1 workstation name, but you still can't see on the right-hand side there.

Attached Files: