My Loud Loud Loud Fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mr. Sushi, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

or i think it's my fan. it's something for sure. it makes the loudest noise EVER! well it's not that loud but it's pretty loud. it's not that normal SHHHHH noise. it's a ehhhhhhhhh noise. i have a p4 1.8 ghz dell dimension 8200. is there someway i can make it less loud without opening it up? and if i have to what do i have to do?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

To make it less noisy without opening it up do this..........wrap it up tightly in a doona. :p

3. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

serious replies please

4. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Crank up your music to over power the noise of the fan?

5. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

argg... no. i do that sometimes but i want a logical solution to tone down the loudness of my fan.

6. Friend of Bill

Try making some sort of air intake baffle on the case. If it works maybe get a patent on it...! How about ear plugs?

7. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

eh... i don't know how to do that..

anybody know like any reasons why my fan is so loud? or how i can make it not loud...

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

SnookBooger would you stop it. You're cracking me up.

9. Friend of Bill

10. puga74

puga74 Guest

I had the same problem with my fan. What I did was I place some oil on the fans' rotor after I took it off ofcourse from my pc and remove the sticker that covers the rotor. It did reduce the noise coming from my fan.

11. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

thank you VERY MUCH for your answer. may i ask how much it was reduced ? and what type of comp you have and the noise your fan was making?

12. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

if you have a dell, and it is making that kinda of a noise, my suggestion would be to tell them and see what they will do. it is their hardware so they should work on it if it bothers you that much

13. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, it's a new dell, too... i'm sure they'll take care of it fine.

if they won't and it's an "ehhhhhhh" noise, it might be a fan going bad (already?). you can open up your case (might void warranty) and find where your fans are. once you find where each one is connected to, unplug each one at a time and see if you can get the noise to stop. oh, btw, DON'T unplug the one that's over your cpu... the one that's on top of your heatsink (probly big silver thing).

but anyway, try to locate which fan it is, if it is a fan. then look into replacing it.

14. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

not much he can do without opening up his case but he states he does not want to open it up.....oh well live with it then:)

15. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

its pretty loud, i'll call dell support i guess. it made those noise since the first day i got it.

16. Rebs

Rebs Guest

Here's one sure way to keep it quiet. PULL THE PLUG!!!! :)

Joking aside I think there's no alternative to opening your pc and replacing the offending thing.

17. Friend of Bill

You might try downloading Speed Fan (free) and bump the rpm's down a little while maintaining safe temperature.

18. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

I found that by putting filters INFRONT of my intake fans (2x evercool 80mm) fans that are quiet, but still noisy, know what i mean, it quietened the fans to a hum.

Plus it stops any crap being sucked into ya case , and as I smoke, thats a good thing, cos after 6months wow those filters get clogged up! :D

Stuy_b

19. theone1

theone1 Guest

thats what you get for buying a dell,as iceman would say...

20. Grinder714

Grinder714 Guest

Well, there is not much you can do without opening up the case and see what is going on. That's like a surgeon trying to operate on you without cutting you open. :rolleyes:

Call Dell tech support, but beware back in '95 I called the bout my dell and they sent me a file to flash my bios...make a long story short, I had a $2000 + paperweight.:mad:

Ever since that day I have been building my own. :cool: