My ISP doesn't have a reverse DNS. Another mark for security ...

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Johnny, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I was browsing http://www.grc.com and came across this in the shield's up page. I think it's pretty cool. No reverse DNS means I am somewhat invisible :)

Anyone else have this ???

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Although it's been awhile, last I checked I had Reverse DNS going on at home. But I believe you have Comcast and have recently subscribed, so maybe I will check when I get home to see if they changed that...

3. Johnny

Yeah, I have comcast, KC. I think it is a good thing that they do not have that. With the reverse dns they can get down to the town you live in, or town close to wear you live, depending on where the control center is. I remember with verizon it would say my IP, CO, state, and town I live in.

This is a good thing. With just the windows firewall I am stealth and my isp doesn't have reverse dns. I like security :)

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Even with just an IP you can do a tracert and get a general idea of where they are, not close down to city/state though :)

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Not having reverse dns is in breach of a number of RFC standards. In europe at least RIPE NCC require all active IP's to have reverse dns associated or they will take the ips away from you.

In this case Steve at grc is talking out of his behind.

6. Johnny

only if you would use something like NeoTrace :)