My documents have disappeared.

Jimmill

OSNN Newbie
Old Hard Drive had bad bootsectors. tried rewriting the MBR which didn't seem to help with getting past the dma pool chek on bootup. I was advised that a reinstall of Win XP would not take away personal folders. This was true apart from my sons user area. Sometime he had changed his user name and this renamed his personal folders within the my documents fiolder (so he tells me). all other users are still there. His outer folder is still there, all his favorites are there, his recent doc links are all there but his documents have evaporated. Any idea about refinding them?

Here's hoping, Jim m.

If he remembers any filenames, even partials, you could do a search and see if the folder was relocated somehow.

I'm afraid I have bad news... They are gone. The My Documents folder has been overwritten. You son's profile was probably the first administrator created on the system, therefore the SID was the administrator's, and his folder has been overwritten.

That happened to me a long time ago... and I learned the hard way.

To avoid this, you should create another partition and keep the smaller one only for the OS.

On the other, the biggest, put a copy of the i386 folder from the Windows XP cd, and create documents folders for each user, then point their My Documents folder to it (right-click, properties on My Documents from the desktop, then change the path). Save any important file or program installation to that partition.

That way, if you ever have to format the drive, you can format only the first partition, reinstall the OS and still have your files on the other partition.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back