my computer refuses to sleep...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by 112turtles, Nov 14, 2002.

1. 112turtles

112turtles Guest

most of the time i can find my way around a problem with my computer, but this time i'm just stumped...i need some of you pro's to help me out~!!

i'm currently using XP Pro. about half a year ago my computer was using a LAN connection and during that time i was able to set my computer so that it would sleep. but since i've taken my computer off that network i can no longer put it to sleep. i've tried fiddling around the power management area but to no avail...

i know it sounds weird that it just disappeared, but does anyone know how to get it back?!?!

thanks. :confused:
  2. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

3. rettahc

rettahc Guest

If you had the power management features in the bios turned off when you installed windows they will not show up until you do a clean install with the bios settings turned on.

The reason that you need to do a clean install for windows to activate these features, is that the power management features are buit into the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and the only way to get windows to replace the hal is by doing a clean install..
  4. red74soxm

red74soxm Guest