My CD-ROM and CD Burner are not showing up

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Keico, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Keico

Keico OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem. All of a sudden my cd-rom and cd burner are not showing up. I tried a system restore and that didn't work. When I go into my device manager there is a yellow exclamation point next to each of the drives and an error message that says the devices are not detected. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling the drives, but windows would not allow me to do it. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? Also, I don't know much about computers so if you could respond in layman's terms, that would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I'm running Windows XP Professional Edition. Thanks

2. pipdipchip

pipdipchip OSNN Junior Addict

I had a problem sort of like that where my CD software wouldn't see my burner. Oddly, just changing to drive to something else and then returning it to the old drive letter fixed it.

3. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Are they on the same ide channel ? If yes, you could delete the ide channel they're on, reboot, and Windows should reinstall it or reinstall 4in1 if your motherboard is Via based.

4. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

You haven't installed anything with the word pinnacle in it have you ?

5. Keico

Keico OSNN One Post Wonder

Okay, I have know idea what an ide channel is or how to go about checking to see if they're on the same channel, nor do I know how to delete the ide channel. Also, I haven't installed anything new on my computer.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

This applies to having just installed XP but it does mention question marks in the device manager.

Microsoft

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Right click on the IDE channel in Device Manager and there's an option to uninstall. Reboot and Windows should pick it up.

Have you installed any thing by Pinnacle, Alcohol, CloneCD/DVD or any app that install virtual Drives?

1 person likes this.