My Buddies HDtach score is awesome

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hiya Guys,

My Buddy is putting together a new system, and we were going through what he would consider a best bang for the buck scenario.

Also asked for him to post his HDtach/3DMark05 scores when the build was completeThis is his HDTach Score:

antectach.jpg

I found this score to be amazing. He posted on my site Here

Noone has posted since.

If you guys want, post you scores yourselves, as well, that would be cool.

Heeter

I'm not sure I understand what's so great about it, but it looks stable and consistent.

The score is just a lot faster than it should be. :)

HDtach has issues with some scores.

Is he running a raid-0 setup? Do you know anything about his hardware?

Looking at the site, it looks like he is running:
3X Seagate, 120gig 7800.9 Sata Raid 0 Nforce4Raid

3 SATA drives in a raid 0 will have very fast sequential read - more so if the files are small and the drives have a large cache.

But, how often do you think your data is read in perfect sequential order on your drive? A better test of real world performance would be to run a benchmark with multiple file sizes and random read/write - this test really tells you nothing of how the setup performs for daily computing. Unless you pair this with a high-end RAID controller, 3 drives in a RAID 0 may actually increase your average random seek time since it has to search through each of the 3 drives for data so while it my read the data faster, it takes longer to find the data you are looking for across the drives.

With 3 drives in a RAID 0 you have 3 times the chances of data loss in case of drive failure - are you willing to take on a 300% increase in risk for questionable performance gain?

If you do a proper backup then there is no loss, or little. But in comparison the speed for loads is amazing, but the 5% CPU useage in not.

I think that he has a separate HD for his files, He does know that it this setup collapses, he loses everything.

The extra HD is a PATA drive that only holds files.

What does 5% CPU usage mean? Is it too High? What would be a better CPU usage %?

I personnaly never seen this kind of HDTach speed, but if it's HDTach itself, then whatelse can he try out?

Heeter

0-2%

I chose the silicon controller on my board just for the reason it uses less CPU than others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back