Music Script, On/Off, Cookies, Images

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by madmatt, Jun 8, 2006.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Okay, I give up. I'm lost.

A client of mine wants music on her site. I told her she should provide the user with an on/off button that will remember their selection (stupid me -- I thought it would be easier).

I have the two images (GIF) and the song (MP3), but that's as far as I've gotten.

When the music is playing I need it to show the music on image. When it is off I need it to show the muted image. I need this script to work using cookies so the script will remember if the user wants to hear the music.

Hopefully you know what I mean. Thank you.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Take a look at the collapser I made for the front page last week: http://osnn.net/collapser.js

I think it's along the same lines as what you want, however I wouldn't know how to stop the music once it's playing (dependant on the embedding method, that is).

Hope that helps some.

Edit: There's also the simpler version of the script available here, http://speedyb.osnn.net/simple_hidy.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  3. madmatt

I'll take a look, thank you.

I'm making some progress. If I could figure out how to make the stupid thing loop, work with cookies, and change the image. That script should help with the latter two.

4. SPeedY_B

5. madmatt

Dave, I am using a different method (similar), but this method doesn't require the ActiveX control.

There is no "loop" property, only a "playCount" property. So, I set it to 1000. A value of 0 is supposed to make it loop but that isn't working.

I figured out the images too using JavaScript.

Last thing is the cookies.

6. SPeedY_B

Just use document.cookie(); in the same function/block you're changing the images :)