Multiple sound cards?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by perpetual98, Apr 26, 2002.

1. perpetual98

perpetual98 Guest

My motherboard has built-in sound, but I have it diabled in BIOS because I'm using my SB Live. I was wondering if I could have both of them enabled or would this cause problems? I basically wanted to see if I could use the microphone inputs from both of them to do multi-track recording in Cakewalk. I could do a guitar track and a microphone track at the same time which would be pretty cool.

2. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

jsut my two cents, but i dont think you will be able to do what u want to, because a program usually wants u to pick 1 sound card to use with it. I haven't used cakewalk, but i assume it will be the same.
  3. perpetual98

perpetual98 Guest

You can select the input in Cakewalk, but I don't know if it would recognize both cards. If it doesn't hurt anything to try, I might give it a go. I can always disable it again in BIOS.
  4. perpetual98

perpetual98 Guest

Ok, I got off of my lazy ass and tried it out. I enabled the on-board sound card and when XP came up, it recognized everything and installed the drivers and my SB Live is still the primary card I guess. I went into Cakewalk and I had the option to have the source be the SB Live or the VIA card. I haven't actually tried it to see if it will work yet though.
  5. perpetual98

perpetual98 Guest

I tested it. In Cakewalk, I tried a microphone through the on-board sound system and ported it through the SB card and all was cool. When I feel like crawling behind the PC again and hooking my guitar up to the pc on the other channel, I'll verify that both channels work. :)