Multiple Hard Drives = Server

Because I don't have room in my PC Case :p for more drives.

SATA cables can be up to 1 meter. Maybe if you place the cases closely?

i sold a gigabyte motherboard last week, it had a backplate with 2 s-ata ports on it :)

GA-7VAXP Ultra
VIA® KT400 chipset

GA-7VAXP Ultra is the latest evolution of the world acclaimed motherboard, based on the previous unprecedented power and reliability of the VIA Apollo KT333, the VIA Apollo KT400 further raises the performance bar on AMD Athlon™ XP and AMD Duron™ processor based systems. GA-7VAXP Ultra provided AGP 8X implementation in the VIA Apollo KT400 North Bridge offers 2.1GB/s of dedicated bandwidth to the next generation of discrete 3D graphics solutions offering end users easy upgrade ability and ensuring there is enough performance headroom for a solid return on their motherboard investment. Supporting DDR266/333/400 memory and a complete range of 200/266/333MHz Front Side Bus AMD Athlon™ XP and AMD Duron™ processors. As well, GA-7VAXP Ultra offers unique serial ATA interface with high data transfer rates, USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394, enhancing PC connectivity for consumer electronics audio/video (A/V) appliances, storage peripherals, other PCs, portable devices and lots more.

Features and Benefits

Silicon Image Serial-ATA interface:
Integrated Silicon Image Serial-ATA interface for high speed storage devices transfer rate up to 150MB/s.

Promise RAID + ATA 133 IDE Controller:
Supports RAID 0(Striping) or RAID 1(Mirroring) function, through GIGABYTE outstanding smart-bios technology, GA-7VAXP Ultra provides additional two IDE UDMA ATA-133/100 connectors that support not only HDD but also other ATAPI devices such as CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-RW and DVD-RAM.

IEEE 1394:
Provides 3 IEEE 1394 Firewire ports. With 1394 devices are "home network ready".

USB 2.0:
Dual-port rear connectors and two headers for four front panel ports. With data transfer rate up to 480Mbps, 40 times faster than USB 1.1, providing a faster data transfer rate between platform and peripherals.

GIGABYTE Patent DualBIOS™ :
Provides a double security for BIOS from virus attacks, enhancing the PC stability.

High quality 6-channel AC'97 audio with S/P-DIF function:
Integrated Realtek ALC650 AC'97 audio CODEC chip, enabling users to experience the seamless high quality 6-channel audio while watching movies or gaming.

Audio Combo Kit:
Supports 6-Channel high-quality surround sound with S/PDIF digital audio output, it brings cinema-quality sound to your movies, music, and games with digital 5.1 clarity.

User Friendly Overclocking Features:
EasyTune™ 4, an exclusive Windows based overclocking utility that totally changes the traditional way for "overclocking".

Color coded front panel pin design:
Easily recognize color codes provides an easier way to install front panel devices such as Power switch, Reset switch, HDD LED, Power LED, PC speaker.

Round Corner PCB Plate Design:
Provide a better durability with round corner design, preventing motherboard edges from cracking during accidental bumping.

mark... if i were you, i'd just build a seperate comp for that purpose. a cheap mobo/duron/sdram setup, for instance.

unless you're going to have the hd box close to your comp, then you can try the s-ata thing.. but s-ata drives are always more expensive than ide and don't really have any performance advantage.

Bah meant to post under this account. Loged into old one by accident.

i can sell u a case for £30 with 8 hdd bays, takes 4 80mm fans at the front as well.

Nope I'm not asking to buy a case. I can turn this old video caddy into a reliable hard drive holder and put fans in etc, ty anyway though.

agree to build seperate machine, course i don't know what parts and stuff - access and price - are in UK but have built many and find machines can be had cheaply if your not always buying the latest greatist.... what i did for file servers.......

black case 5 int&2ex small and 4 large ex bays....5 fan holes and a 120mm up front <$32
stable Intel 845grg boards have onboard video, nic and sound (disabled for servers) $25
256 meg ddr, 1.7 celeron & 20 gig drive for OS (more than enough power and speed for file server, and if you use server OS you can have it do the raid instead of hardware as computer isn't busy trying to do other stuff )
so core full running computer (before storage drives, OS drive is on its own and already listed ) can be had for $250 or less........

and set up with a usb k&m so they can be yanked once running and no one can play with.....it can be serviced through remote desktop.....as i do all mine from 2 work computers on desk...

its good to keep file storage off work/game computers and vise versa anyway....

i have a rack of 6 all the same here at home, 4 are for testing....got all this running, including the cart($30 from local warehouse store) and a 12 port switch($14 - ebay) wired at bottom for less than some of you spent on one computer.:p
shelfrack.jpg

old pic... they are all in matching black cases like 2 on top now......

Hiya. Sounds good. I have a Acton 16 port hub thats up for this sort of job. It's probebly cheaper than buying raid cards and the lot. Interesting....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back