Multiple Hard Drives = Server

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 03bigMark03, Jun 10, 2003.

1. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Hello people. Me haven't got the money to do this yet. But when I get a bit more money I might have a MultiDrive configuration for various things on my network. My Main workstation (now) is Windows 2000 Server edition. I was thinking of buying so many hard drives at 7400RPM speeds but what type of drives and what type of cards do I need for this. I was also planning on putting the hard drives in a massive old video box as it has good hight and lots of space. What ideal (cheapish) external connections would I use for this.

Thanks or if you know just link me to some guides. Thanks. Mark.

2. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

how many HDD we taling about?

MdSalih

3. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

I don't know. I just wondered if it was possible thats all. And what PC cards do I need etc.

4. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Anything is possible. SCSI will support up to 15 devices per channel, IDE will only support 2.

5. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

OK. But i done some past research on SCSI and it seems to be quiet deer. will Sata (what the hell is that) drives be chaper? Also would it be easy to connect drives to an external box?

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

umm... i believe sATA means Serial ATA. kinda new technology as far as i know. think it came out when hard drives got up into the 160-200GB range.

7. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Sounds cool.

8. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

You English "chaps"... I will never understand you.

9. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Means costly, but i'm stressed out with exams so do lots of typos atm.

10. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

- IDE drives are cheapest, SATA a little more expensive and SCSI very expencive.
    - I think you want a RAID system, yes? Make the drives act as one big one.
    - IDE RAID is cheap up to four drives. SATA I don't really know, but it should be the same there.
    - For more drives you want RAID 5, which requires a more expensive controller ($250+).

Make sure you have plenty of cooling in that box, it will get very hot. SATA drives are probably the easiest to RAID since they have very handy thin cables.

11. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Yer lol

Yer I gathered Raid would be cheaper :rolleyes:. I also read a few reviews of Sata drives, I like them thin 80mil IDE cables, they rule.

12. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Sh|t, meant to be under "multiple hard drives" , eek. Mod change it

13. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

LOL i thought you lost the plot m8 :D

14. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Threads Merged

15. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Cheers SpeedY_B. What raid cards do you recomend on buying. I might be getting a job soon so I could start saving. Remember that I would like the drives to be in an external box.

16. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

most scsi cards have an external port, you dont get that for ATA raid cards.

17. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Oh. Well recomedn a reasnoble priced SCSI card or if you no any sites that sell SCSI equipment then plz mention here.

18. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

a large scsi setup would be so expensive. i'm fairly certain i've seen serial-ata raid cards with external ports, since s-ata cables are limited to like 6 feet or something while ide is limited to 18".

look for s-ata cards with external ports.

[edit] okay, i looked around and can't find any s-ata cards with external ports. who knows what i saw.

anyway, i did find this 6-port s-ata controller. supports raid 5 as well.

[edit, again] heh... that cards runs for around $360. :eek:

19. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Lol. Looks an impressive card though.

20. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

But why do you need to have the disks in an external box?