Mulholland Drive

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Nick M, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I just watched this movie; and I'm sitting here saying " what a waste of time; that movie sucked! "

Can someone please explain to me what that whole movie was about?

I don't understand.

2. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

yeah, it sucked

3. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

I kinda agree with you Nick.

I'm a big David Lynch fan. I loved Twin Peaks (series) and the two movies, especially "Fire walk with me" and "Blue Velvet". All good.

However Mullholland Drive :confused: :confused: :confused:

Typical Lynch wierdisms - deformed people, backwards talking, mysterious characters and messages and references to other dimensions (that odd box & the way people seemed to be trapped by it).

But like you say there didn't appear to be a point. Infact at the end the girl who started out er well appeared to be someone completely different?? I think.

Well anyway after I watched I thought:

"Well that was odd, but hey I've just drunk a bottle of wine, eaten a load of pistachios so really I feel great!"

Not one for the cinema however.

Mubbers

P.S. Thing is my worst nightmare is actually very similar: nothing ever makes sense in it and I'm trapped in a loop going round in circles :eek:!

4. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I liked it. Its a mind f*ck movie that makes you think rather than just telling you everything. I dont want to ruin the movie for people, but it uses similar concepts from jacob's ladder.

5. Mubbers

Jacob's Ladder - I loved that movie!!

But I'm trying real hard to see the connection - run it by me so I can think about it... :)

Mubbers

6. leedogg

Ok I'll give you my analysis, do not read if you dont want a spoiler...

She paid to have her lover offed and In her mind tried to justify that she was innocent and pure. the box was her pandora's box of evil, in it was the truth about what she did. The old couple are her parents/guilt, the homeless guy was her evil secret. Once she opens the box, she realizes what she has done and kills herself. The movie takes place in a dream like/surreal state that exists in her mind. The waitress, rowdy crazy girl and the innocent pure girl are one and the same, just different sides of her (both literally and figuratively - it was the same actress, she did a really good job)

There was more, but I forget...Its been awhile since I saw it..

7. Mubbers

Actually Leedogg that does make sense - you copy that from the website?:D

What I meant though was how you thought it was similar to "Jacob's Ladder"...

That film was about (and it is a long time since I saw that one) this bloke who was a combat veteran from Vietnam. He has nightmares about his dead son and also starts seeing things (demons etc...). His friends (soldier buddies from the same unit)start dying mysteriously and there seems to be a conspiracy behind it all.

Aside from this he has this relationship with his physiotherapist who is rather like a father figure but in the end seems more like an angel/supernatural being. It all wraps up with the impression that he dreamed it all while he was dying on the slab in a military emergency hospital in Vietnman...

Maybe the dead son is really him - Jacob? The physio might be his father or could really be an angel trying to cure him of his pain (i.e. bring him from the mortal realm to heaven).

Well it looks like I answered my own question there :D Do you think that's about right??

Of course the title of the film heavily suggestive of the plot direction. Jacob's Ladder.

Mubbers [lord my head hurts]

P.S. Gotta be someone from LA around here - does Mullholland Drive really exist?

8. leedogg

My analysis is my own =) I had a pretty good hs english class that pretty much ingrained in me the ability to pick out symbolisms and find the 'deeper meanings' of things. sigh. sometimes this drives me nuts, but I do like stimulating movies like this which you can watch over and over and everybody can have their own interpretation of what happened and why.

Mulholland takes place in the short instant of time before she dies. I think the entire movie is one big flashback/dream. we see bits and pieces of the puzzle and are left to figure things out. Similar to jacobs, the demons that haunt him, haunt her.

I havent seen jacobs in awhile, but your analysis sounds good. Both movies the main character tries to come to grips with what happened before they die.

9. Mubbers

Ace! I'm gonna watch both movies again back to back. My wife had problems understanding it and she's got an IQ of 134!

:)

Excellent, maybe I'll stop having that nightmare?

Mub's

Scariest bits in Jacobs Laddder were the S&M masked + limbless demon things that vibrated really quickly - :eek:

10. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

GOOOOOOD GOD that movie sucked so much
    it was good up until the girls went to that theatre. ACK!

good: Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet
    BAD: Mulholland Dr. , Lost Highway

11. Eve

Eve Guest

Bootsy, I gave up at that point and turned it off. My b/f was only watching for the lesbian scenes :rolleyes: and to be honest he wasn't that impressed with them either so he didn't mind. What a load of crap.

12. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

yea the lesbian scenes were pretty good but as I said, after that theatre, I was like WTF why am i watching this garbage?

13. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Eh. I'v seen better ones :p

Bootsy; after I watched the DVD; I said almost the same thing " Why did I just watch that sh*t ? "

14. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

lol yea, I have to watch Blue Velvet, another Lynch movie...haven't heard anything about it. Anyone here seen it? How is it?

15. Codasmd

Codasmd Old School XPeriencer

Mulholland Drive = good movie

Blue velvet is a good movie too. Dennis Hopper plays one, very messed up guy.

And I thought the theater scene in Mul. was great. I dont want to spoil it but the effect lynch was going for worked.

The first season of twin peaks was really cool too.

And the movie he made about the saxaphone player was out there too. I think Bill Paxton was the main guy. Maybe it was Bill Pullman. (Well, same guy either way.)

16. Mubbers

Which movie was that???

Mubbers.

17. Codasmd

Codasmd Old School XPeriencer

Lost Highway was the name of the movie.

And it was Bill Pullman, not his twin, Bill Paxton.

18. Mubbers

cheers, i'll be checking that out soon :)

M