MSN Virtual Earth to take on Google...wow!

jimi_81 said:
i thought there was supposed to be 45° views?
Possibly not in the first beta.

Xie said:
I understand that it's beta but it's got ALOT of work to be done if it's to catch up w/ google. I was excited by your pics, but I'm really let down by it. The GUI needs a complete overhaul IMHO.
Hmm? The UI looks and works almost exactly like it did in the pictures and the C9 video. There were glitches with some of the tiles loading, but that's probably because it was being tested for the Monday launch. Let's see how it goes.

NetRyder said:
Hmm? The UI looks and works almost exactly like it did in the pictures and the C9 video. There were glitches with some of the tiles loading, but that's probably because it was being tested for the Monday launch. Let's see how it goes.
Other then the pics you posted in this thread I've not seen any videos or other content on it. I did get in and try it earlier though and it's mucho clunky and awkward to use. It's just not as nice as Google's offering IMHO. :)

Beta launch has been moved up to 9PM PDT tonight instead of tomorrow morning.

seems cool. Couldn't get super close to stuff though

I have mixed opinions about it based on my quick tour of it yesterday, but I'll post more on that later tonight to see if some of the issues are sorted out.

I like Google's version better. I like the Google UI better and I was able to find places better and faster better with google. I entered my town into Google, Hibbing, MN ... and it took me to Atlanta. I had to manually navigate there ... and the closeups were black and white! With google I had great pictures of dead Fall trees! ... and thats all I have to say about that ...

The quality of satellite imagery varies greatly depending on your location. As a counter-example, here's an image of where I work:

Google:

MSN:

Both zoomed in all the way. See the level of detail? :)

Edit: Another example in this thread from a while ago (MSN VE uses the images from TerraServer, btw):
http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=66571

NetRyder said:
The quality of satellite imagery varies greatly depending on your location. As a counter-example, here's an image of where I work:

Google:

MSN:

Both zoomed in all the way. See the level of detail? :)

Edit: Another example in this thread from a while ago (MSN VE uses the images from TerraServer, btw):
http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=66571
do you have a valid link for the ms version?

Alright, here we go. My thoughts, copied from the blog post:

Rather than posting my opinion of MSN VE based solely on first impressions, I thought I'd get a little more familiar with it first, and now that I have, my reactions are mixed. Let's take it step by step...

General UI:
I personally think Virtual Earth wins in this area, although some may think otherwise. The ability to zoom in and out using the scrollwheel (or the touchpad edge) makes navigation just so much more natural as compared to using a separate slider control, and it's less jerky than Google's implementation. The "game panning" navigation, which kicks in if you use the compass-like UI element is also very smooth. MSN VE and Google Maps are tied when it comes to keyboard navigation though - the implementations are almost identical, although as mentioned earlier, zooming in and out using the + and - keys is smoother with VE.

Roadmaps:
There's no real comparison I can make in this area, other than to say MSN VE's color scheme is a little more subdued as compared to Google's brighter colors. Which one you prefer is largely a matter of personal preference. To me, the difference is small enough to make it insignificant.

Satellite imagery:
Ah, this seems to be a sort of hit-and-miss thing, where one does better than the other depending on your location. I found that here in the California region, MSN VE's satellite imagery is significantly better than Google's. The level to which you can zoom in is nothing short of impressive! VE uses the same imagery as TerraServer, which I've used before, so this didn't come as a surprise to me. However, when I jumped over to the New York area, the result was disappointing. Google offers full color satellite imagery here, whereas MSN VE only has grayscale images available, which aren't quite as clear either. Some people have also noticed that MSN's images might be older than the ones Google has acquired. The MSN VE team has announced that it is working towards acquiring updated images. All I can say here is that depending on your location, your mileage may vary, and vary quite a bit it may. :)

Layering and the Scratchpad:
Props to the MSN VE team for both of these unique features. They're extremely convenient for local search applications. I always found it a little irritating when my previous search results on Google Maps were wiped off the map when I searched for something else. MSN VE uses a layered approach, whereby it allows you to perform multiple local searches one after another and displays the results on the map using different colored flags. So if you're travelling, and looking for your hotel, and also want to find any chinese restaurants nearby, it becomes really convenient. The scratchpad allows you to add multiple locations to it, which is a handy tool to have if you're going on a trip and want to keep track of all the different stops you're going to make on the map, in addition to the starting point and destination. If I need to do local searches from now on, I know where I'll be going.

Locate Me:
This is another very unique feature originally developed at Microsoft Research that uses WiFi triangulation to determine your location on the map. It seemed to work really well in the Channel9 video, but for some reason, VE used the IP reverse-lookup method to find my location even though I had the little Location Finder app installed and running. So the best that it could do was to tell me I was in Los Angeles. Not bad, but nothing earth-shattering. Maybe there weren't enough wireless access points around me? This can end up being a really cool feature once it starts to work for everybody though.

The disappointment:
And this is the big one...really big. Big enough that I couldn't believe it when I first tried it. MSN VE has no driving directions! How could this not be the top priority? The single most important reason people using online mapping services is to find driving directions. Without that, everything else just becomes a novelty that will wear out sooner or later. From what I can tell, the base is there - anything that you search for has "Drive from" and "Drive to" links associated with it. The problem is that clicking either of these links, rather than overlaying directions on the existing map, takes you over to the old MSN Maps site, where the user experience is just sub-par. The banner ads on MSN Maps take up more space than the map itself! This is a real shame for an otherwise wondeful implementation. If anyone on the MSN VE team is reading this (and I heard they're looking for feedback on blogs), I really urge you to make this your number one priority for the Fall refresh! "Eagle-eye" view is incredibly cool, and it's something I know everyone is waiting for, but this is a far more useful addition that really needs attention.

To sum it all up, I feel that the lack of driving directions on MSN VE is enough to prevent me from moving away from Google Maps for now. I'll still start using VE for local searches though, since the implementation is just so much nicer. However, I see the amazing potential that VE has, and once driving directions, eagle-eye views, and updated satellite imagery are in, I'll switch completely without a second thought. Just not yet.
http://kunal.kundaje.net/2005_07_01_archives.php#pl112244570176634997

*Thread bump* :D

Looks like a refresh is shipping in a few days, and the 45 degree images should be in there this time. Some actual screenshots:

x1pnp_rgmi5o515QqLrqb_S_9SZ6-x09ZLt8owaqeClYouMpaA1pddf4TB4ens2I6f-RwfjykFh-XL6veBjCv4Fp9htBNmZtWZqRnt7D8RiMsKZ7Qr3H1ArduEZ6gecYnXQ

x1pnp_rgmi5o515QqLrqb_S_3RDLMVlRUbw5Lt7V74Dlw2Z6D63X3xL39I5Z0pLy8adr3IgGQj1K5Te_Z5pX8Bm_JTptIx-k6TC_ynfYLIkv_FeQ_b1WPUROCnluIeXyr-X

[Via the VE blog]

I will be downloading this for the first time then...

Launching later tonight. :)

The service will offer a 45-degree bird's-eye view covering about one-quarter of the country's population. Cities include New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle and Las Vegas.

The bird's-eye images, captured by Pictometry International using low-flying planes, are integrated with road and satellite maps to simulate 360-degree panoramas that can be viewed from any of the four different compass directions. Users can choose between directional views, for instance, to see the front or back sides of buildings, or zoom closer using on-screen navigation tools and preview tiles.

Sweet, I hope they expand that into other major cities. But now I can pretty much vist those cities and "travel" around them :D

Yeah, apparently they're aiming to cover 90% of the U.S. population. It's time-consuming work though - these pictures are actually taken from aircrafts flying at low altitudes, so it might take a while. :)

I'd imagine so. There's also the big hassle of trying to get permits to fly so close to buildings I bet.

Was playing with this earlier today...some really slick aerial imagery.

Empire State Building: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=40.750705~-73.983339&style=o&lvl=1&scene=1472155
Statue of Liberty: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=40.689462~-74.044783&style=o&lvl=2&scene=1915478

Powell Library and Royce Hall on the UCLA campus :)
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=34.072321~-118.441644&style=o&lvl=2&scene=3576638

P.S. Try changing the orientation using the N,S,E,W controls. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back