MSN Messenger 6 now out

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by oenbat2001, Jul 26, 2003.

1. oenbat2001

oenbat2001 Guest

But i have a few queries (I am using Windows XP)

1/ How do i stop Outlook Express automatically opening Messenger 4.7 which is built into XP.

2/ How can i get my Messenger contacts to appear in Outlook Express the way they currently do for Mesenger 4.7.

3/ My Mesenger 6 looks OK but for some reason i have nothing in my Help menu.
  2. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

London, UK
    1/ Tool>Options ...somewhere in there under the General tab i think. Might be wrong ;)

2/ 3/ dunno!
  3. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Petal, Mississippi
    Not sure I follow all your questions - when I downloaded and installed MSN Messenegr 6 it came up by itself and loaded all my contacts from Windows Messenger in it and also left the contacts in my OE!

Let me try to explain:

You can only run MSN Messenger 6 or Windows Messenger - if you only have one Passport Account.

In order to run both at the same time you must have two Passport Accounts.

What I did for mine to bring up MSN 6 was log into it - allowing my Passport account to sign-in thru it and it automatically signed out of Windows Messenger! From then on - as long as I did not go back and log into Windows Messenger - it started up with MSN 6 active.

For me - it doesn't matter which one I am logged into my OE still displays all the same contacts in either one!

I guess my question to you would be - are you sure you are logged into MSN 6?

Hope this shed some light on this matter for you! Keep us posted!
  4. oenbat2001

oenbat2001 Guest

Are you running XP ? No they do not run at the same time. After i run Messenger 6, Messenger 4.7 starts up and terminates Messenger 6. Both Messengers share the same contact data.

I cannot get my messenger contacts to appear in Outlook Express when M6 is running but can if M4.7 is running.
  5. oenbat2001

oenbat2001 Guest

I did a search on old posts here on MSN MEssenger and picked up on previous advice to run:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

to remove M4.7 which i have done and M47 has now gone.

The only issue i have left is that the messenger contacts when running M6 do not appear in Outlook Express as they used to when I ran M4.7.
  6. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Petal, Mississippi
    Are you running a firewall? I have Windows Messengers "not allowed internet access" and MSN 6 "allowed" under ZA!
  7. oenbat2001

oenbat2001 Guest

No firewall, but as i said, i have now killed M4.7 but my only issue is that my messenger contacts with M6 runing aren't listed in Outlook Express the way they used to with M4.7.
  8. EMDY

EMDY Guest

is there a multi-session patch???
  9. ordeth51

ordeth51 Guest

if you have nothing in your help menu, that means you have a
    BETA version.. the final version is already out..
    goto their website and put it on the DL!
  10. oenbat2001

oenbat2001 Guest

I previously had the beta version and upgraded to the final version. Then, in an effort to get the help stuff i uninstalled M6 using Add Remove programs in Control Panel of XP and did a fresh install but still no help.
  11. lechtard

lechtard Guest

when you uninstalled it did you check to make sure everything was gone: The Reg entry, program files and such ??? If not that could pose a prob also ...
  12. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Copenhagen, Denmark
    Does this final version still support custom tabs?