MSN 7 - Official yo!

GrandMaster.... you just named the ONE and ONLY thing that i wish every other company.... mostly AIM and Microsoft..... would follow Yahoo on. i mean come on, how hard is it to set it up so that if you send a message while the person is offline, it pops up when they come on next time? Yahoo's had it for years, and that's still the only thing i liked about Yahoo messenger. Still didn't download this yet either. think i'd still rather use Trillian so far.

NetRyder said:
Haven't installed the final build myself either, but I'm quite certain it doesn't support true offline messaging. I believe you can have messages sent to your cellphone or forwarded to your email inbox when you're offline, and that's about it.

Bummer. And I've said this before - If I find out how invented nudges I will electricute him! I can't ****ing stand them! :lick:

Disable them. :p
It's the first thing I'm going to do when I install the new build. Fortunately, I don't have anyone on my contact list who is lame enough to use them.

NetRyder said:
Disable them. :p
It's the first thing I'm going to do when I install the new build. Fortunately, I don't have anyone on my contact list who is lame enough to use them.

You're forgetting I'm still in high school...

Grandmaster said:
You're forgetting I'm still in high school...
Hahah! I feel sorry for you.
laugh.gif

But yeah...just disable them. They're completely pointless.

Microsoft’s revenue plans with MSN Messenger and Spaces
Filed under:

* Software News
* Blogging News
* Online Advertisement

— Sushubh @ 8:34 pm

Microsoft’s revenue plans with MSN Messenger and Spaces

For a long time now, companies have developed their products to attract consumers. They have given away stuff for free and they have spent millions on promoting their services. Now, Microsoft is going back to the basics of making money on the internet and has decided it is the time to reap the benefits from the services they have provided since long through online advertisement.

Luckily, they are not making the newly launched MSN Messenger 7 a paid service as they did with MSN Chat rooms sometime ago. It is still free to download and most of the facilities are still free for usage. However, the company would be now more aggressively in selling advertisement space on this messaging application. Companies like Adidas and Volvo have already joined the rat race to become one of the major advertisers on the Instant Messaging application windows.

The main window has been displaying ads since quite sometime but now Microsoft is also going to display text-based ads on the messaging windows. The ads as well have gone more aggressive with text based ads becoming more frequent rather than old-fashioned animated gif ads. Moreover, some of the new components like ‘theme packs’ and ‘dynamic picture display’ are only paid for add-ons.

In addition, the company also plans to aggressively use the MSN Spaces based user Blogs for competitive advertisement. Blogging is so popular these days that online advertisement companies are targeting these web sites quite aggressively for their highly dynamic nature and active traffic from the search engines and the readership.

http://news.techwhack.com/1102/08042005-microsofts-revenue-plans-with-msn-messenger-and-spaces/
Enjoy your msn...

I dont think trillian or gaim have ads. Maybe it would be worth a look

Gaim
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Trillian
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

Trillian and Gaim don't include webcam functionality either, and file transfers are flaky at best. Text-based ads are hardly intrusive. If they really bother someone though, Windows Messenger (built into XP) is still a more feature-complete alternative as compared to all the other alternatives out there, and it doesn't include any advertising at all.

NetRyder said:
Trillian and Gaim don't include web cam functionality either, and file transfers are flaky at best. Text-based ads are hardly intrusive. If they really bother someone though, Windows Messenger (built into XP) is still a more feature-complete alternative as compared to all the other alternatives out there, and it doesn't include any advertising at all.

Trillian has web cam support.

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/features/index.php?select=2

Its not the fact that the ads are annoying, but rather the fact that MS is putting them in there. Its pretty safe to say that they make PLENTY of money, and no its not bad that they want to make more. Its just a bit over kill. I'm just baffled as to why people are still using this client that has ads when there is several alternative that have a stronger support community and are much more fun to use :D.

Gaim, has no advertising at all, its not supposed to be a deluxe suite like Trillian. Its a low memory footprint open source simple messaging tool. Its easy to use, and has cross platform compatibility. There are more reasons to use and alternative messager then to use the "stock" ones. If you have yahoo, msn, ICQ, and AIM clients all running at once you are using a lot of resource just for messaging. I have gaim running (which does all those plus others) and it uses 7mb of total memory.

zeke_mo said:
...only if you pay for it. ;)

Can you imagine the uproar if MS decided to start charging for MSN Messenger? :D As I mentioned earlier, one can always use Windows Messenger. It supports all the core features like file transfers, voice and video, whiteboard sessions etc, without all the extra fluff that, believe it or not, lots of people (especially high-school teens, like Omar's friends :p) actually like.

I am by no means against alternative IM clients like Trillian, Gaim etc. In fact, I've been using Pandion to connect to Jabber, along with the MSN and AIM transports. But they each have their place. Not a single free version of any multiprotocol IM app supports all the features that the official clients include. If you don't need these features (and again, remember that many, many people actually do), an alternative client is a good choice. But that doesn't make the official client useless just because it now includes a line of text-based ads at the bottom of the conversation window that 1) are harmless and non-intrusive 2) can be easily removed with a small, unofficial patch.

It's not like they bundled in malware like WildTangent the way AOL did with the official AIM client. Now that I would have a problem with.

I forgot that ppl had to pay for web cams :s I had bought trillian a few months ago and completely forgot. I would still rather pay for trillian than have 5 different clients running.

I just see msn messenger as a way for them to attack us with ads, and not a program they give us just because they like us. I am just getting a bit tried of ads, thats all :(

I agree. It's not the nicest thing to do, but it's just business.
I just read that the new version supports full-screen video. That's something I'm definitely going to try out this weekend. :)

I am not sure, but I think trillian has that also, but again you have to pay :s. Its cool if the person you are chatting with has a nice cam; sometimes the screen can get nasty looking.

zeke_mo said:
I just see msn messenger as a way for them to attack us with ads, and not a program they give us just because they like us. I am just getting a bit tried of ads, thats all :(

This is AIM, have you installed the newest one yet ?? You talk about a pc killer . . MSN Messenger is not nearly as bad, in fact it only shows one add as apposed to about 30 or 40 from aim ... Then with AOL losing a million customers a quarter I can see why they would want to flood your pc with malware/spyware garbage.

What I would like to know how to do with MSN Messenger is to get rid of the side bar, or atleast be able to arrange it to the way you want it ...

NetRyder said:
I just read that the new version supports full-screen video

yep, used that last night. So long as your on a fast connection and the webcams are good quality cams its quite a good experience.

As for someone mentioning the Ads,
as a way for them to attack us with ads
there are ways around them but ofcourse i cant explain or condone such activities.

Johnny:
Your tabs can be switched of via the security tab in the options (Tools > Options > Security > "This is a shared computer so dont display my tabs")
Or to arrange them, you simply go to the Tabs option (Tools > Options > Tabs)

thekore said:
Johnny:
Your tabs can be switched of via the security tab in the options (Tools > Options > Security > "This is a shared computer so dont display my tabs")
Or to arrange them, you simply go to the Tabs option (Tools > Options > Tabs)

Thanx for the info, I liked the older messenger progams because you were able to remove tabs you don't use .. This new one you can't do that ..

my msn 7 doesnt work properly, or the email bit doesnt, when it tell you how many emails you have and you click the link i get taken to a member services page and just cant get onto the email page.

macromp said:
my msn 7 doesnt work properly, or the email bit doesnt, when it tell you how many emails you have and you click the link i get taken to a member services page and just cant get onto the email page.

I go right to my hotmail account. No member services page. Seems you aren't the only one I've seen have this happen. Makes me wonder if there is a setting somewhere causing this.

I disabled what I can within the program and used an unofficial patch to graphically remove other bits that I don't use. All in all I'm happy and the new webcam stuff is a huge bonus.

rotjong

Johnny said:
This is AIM, have you installed the newest one yet ?? You talk about a pc killer . . MSN Messenger is not nearly as bad, in fact it only shows one add as apposed to about 30 or 40 from aim ... Then with AOL losing a million customers a quarter I can see why they would want to flood your pc with malware/spyware garbage.

What I would like to know how to do with MSN Messenger is to get rid of the side bar, or atleast be able to arrange it to the way you want it ...

We weren't talking about AIM johnny.... We were discussing MSN and multi platform chat clients

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back