Msgplus! 3.50.124

yeah... but sometimes it still installs them i noticed - i think they fixed it though.. 2.something installed a folder in my programs with a dll that i could not remove... however the new version didnt i know for sure... i think if you guys would try it then you would see that it is better now and it doesn't install junk if you don't want it to... now i don't know if it downloads stuff longterm - i didn't have the new version long enough but time will tell

Go ahead and use it, I don't mind making $40/hr fixing this crap, but I just think users should avoid it.

FishBoy said:
and if you do choose to install the sponsor program then it isn't spyware coz you know that you installed it and you know it's there, as for if it never asked you to install it then you could call it spyware or adware, but in that case it's not

Bah, if you're gonna argue that case, then most other programs shouldn't be declared as spyware either, don't people read the TOS or EULA before installing, software? Most state that 'this software comes with blah blah blah' if you choose to install it. Either way, it's all (spyware/adware/sponsorware) crapware.
Maybe this is touchy for some users since they 'like' their msgplus... HAHA.

If there's users out there that use MsgPlus! just to get rid of the ads and other annoying features, then try the Mess Patch from mess.be, no sponsorware crap.

I never understood the "You have the option to not install it" attitude which people take towards this product. If the option is there, and it's disabled by default, then why even bother including it? The only thing including malware into your application does is piss everyone off (this thread being a perfect example of quite knowledgeable people who dislike a fairly innocent product due to the practices of the creator).

Let's face it, who in their right mind is going to tick a box which is basically labelled "INSTALL MALWARE ON MY PC", no one. That is, except for lesser knowledgeable computer users who are not certain as to what they are doing, therefore all the spyware/adware/malware option is doing is preying on more innocent users who are more likely to not know how, or know where to search for information on how to remove it. If you ask me, that's a very shady way of doing business.

I would write more, however I need to head off to work, I just want to say that I'd really like to leave this thread open, therefore please do not begin flaming or give it reason to close. I really do believe and agree with what most people are saying against the plug-in, and would therefore like for this information to stay here.

It seems we have two users of leser knowledge singing praises of an app with questionable benefit but that they probably enjoy for the gimmicky sounds and irc like abilities it adds, who dont understand that the spyware/malware is installed irrespective of the option being checked or not.

Now its bad enough it was linked on osnn.

Its bad enough they questioned our comments.

Its worse they are trying to persuade us to allow spyware on our systems.

Take the advice of the rest of the posts on here. Do NOT download Messenger Plus. Do NOT install Messenger Plus. Forget it ever exised until they remove the spyware from the bundle.

If you use it and have me on your MS list let me know so that I can remove you until you wise up.

Hopefully that didnt come over as flame. Please edit if it did :D

think I tried this app once a few years ago, shortly thereafter reformatted my machine and have never used it since. I dont really see the point of it to be honest. MSN does what I need it to. Its relays text based messages from me to my friends. Thats all I ever need it to do. I dont need to play games on it, I dont need it to make stupid noises as I prefer to listen to my music, so I dont really see the point of this plugin/app esp as now v7 of MSN Messenger logs chats so I can go back and read bits and pieces again. The Mac version of MSN can also save chats so it realistically does all I need it to, sans [mal|spy|ad|crap]ware

I haven't used MS IMs for a while now. I use Trillian because MSN IMs don't have the features that should make applications like this redundant.

Electronic Punk said:
I haven't used MS IMs for a while now. I use Trillian because MSN IMs don't have the features that should make applications like this redundant.
What features would those be?

LordOfLA said:
It seems we have two users of leser knowledge singing praises of an app with questionable benefit but that they probably enjoy for the gimmicky sounds and irc like abilities it adds, who dont understand that the spyware/malware is installed irrespective of the option being checked or not.

Now its bad enough it was linked on osnn.

Its bad enough they questioned our comments.

Its worse they are trying to persuade us to allow spyware on our systems.

Take the advice of the rest of the posts on here. Do NOT download Messenger Plus. Do NOT install Messenger Plus. Forget it ever exised until they remove the spyware from the bundle.

If you use it and have me on your MS list let me know so that I can remove you until you wise up.

Hopefully that didnt come over as flame. Please edit if it did :D
How about you pucker up and kiss my ass?
YOu just called anyone who use it a dumb ****
Msnplus is a great program and offers a multitude of features beyond funny sounds and irc stuff

Saying it instals spyware regardless of the option is complete crap, if it does it has never in about 2 or 3 years been picked up by any spyware checking program i've used
If you don't like the fact you have to tick a box, thats your problem

NetRyder said:
What features would those be?

To be honest it is just one that would really make me change - the ability to change your contacts display names. I have nearly 200 contacts and I would be screwed if they all decided they were going to change their name to a load of symbols or who they love that day.

it would be best if someone would just post an alternative to msgplus because part of the reason why i like it so much is because i have no other choice... if i did have another alternative i would probably use it--> the only reason why i use msgplus is so that i can use ink with messenger. (I like drawing pics while i talk:D)

Oh for godsake it's the same boring arguement everytime an update is released.If you want it you get it,if you don't want it you don't get it :rolleyes:

Electronic Punk said:
To be honest it is just one that would really make me change - the ability to change your contacts display names. I have nearly 200 contacts and I would be screwed if they all decided they were going to change their name to a load of symbols or who they love that day.
lol very true, but for me its fun, makes you see who it was who just signed on, then you might actually talk to them again :p

Techno Child said:
it would be best if someone would just post an alternative to msgplus because part of the reason why i like it so much is because i have no other choice... if i did have another alternative i would probably use it--> the only reason why i use msgplus is so that i can use ink with messenger. (I like drawing pics while i talk:D)
Ink with messenger, I think you can do this in MSN7. Perhaps a good idea would be for the MSN development team to look at the features that are most popular in MessengerPlus and then merge them into the client, though for many that might come as some unwelcome bloat. So it is probably best as a third party add-on. That said it would seem that the whole spyware issue is the main gripe regarding this particular piece of software and while it does apparently have the option to opt-out I still feel that something of that nature should never be included in distributed software at all simply because of the often detrimental affect it can and does have on many users machines.

Thats my 2nd pence worth, the first pence was in my previous post :p

Electronic Punk said:
msgplus adds that feature to msn messenger

well i always used the messenger plus program, the main reason was i wanted too get rid of the advertisement banner and you could change the names from your buddies, but since today i totally removed everything of messenger plus from my computer because i found a little patch that do those two things, no more counterspy alerts i have spyware on my computer called messenger plus, lol . :)

Reading this makes me glad I only tried this one time, After uninstalling it I had to do a reformat to get rid of all the stuff it left on my machine - Luckily I made a ghost image and could back pretty quickly. This program is not as bad as the free version of bearshare though, that one is really bad. They are both Malware/Spyware/pc killing peaces of garbage .. There are patches out there that do what you want with this. All you have to do is use google to find them ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back