ms outlook blocking files reg hack?....

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by zino, Dec 15, 2004.

1. zino

zino OSNN Junior Addict

Hello everyone,

I remember some time ago, someone having a reg edit that would eneable, or rather disable the security settings in outlook to block files such as a .exe or other that might be harmfull to the machine.

I however need at times send and receive these kind of files, and would be handy if anyone could give me some information as to where i can find the hack...

Thanks for any help anyone might have.

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Outlook 2003, Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2000 SP3 (but not Outlook 98 or earlier Outlook 2000 versions) allow the user to use a registry key to open up access to blocked attachments. (Always make a backup before editing the registry.) To use this key:
    Run Regedit, and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security (change 10.0 to 9.0 for Outlook 2000 SP3 or to 11.0 for Outlook 2003)

Under that key, add a new string value named Level1Remove.

For the value for Level1Remove, enter a semicolon-delimited list of file extensions. For example, entering this:

.mdb;.url

would unblock Microsoft Access files and Internet shortcuts. Note that the use of a leading dot was not previously required, however, new security patches may require it. If you are using "mdb;url" format and extensions are blocked, add a dot to each extension. Note also that there is not a space between extensions.

If you are using this registry entry, a glance at Help | About Microsoft Outlook will show Security Mode: User Controlled above the license information

zino likes this.
  3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Be careful with this. I'd suggest enabling it only when you need it.