MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations

Discussion in 'Funny Farm' started by fitz, Nov 29, 2006.

1. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

From that wonderful satirical site BBSpot:

2. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

The really scary part is this is known as the blu-ray dvd player. The technology is already built into the player, they just have to turn it on.

not a joke.

3. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I'm getting so sick and tired of hearing about things like this. Who the hell do these companies think they are? I'm ****ing tired of being bullied by these large organizations that use scare tactics and their big lawyers to try to screw over the very people that line their pockets.

Makes me sick.

why is this in jokes and humor?

4. fitz

Just to clarify some things:

1) This is posed in the jokes and humor section for a reason
    2) The site BBSpot is a fairly well known satire site (think, The Onion type of material. To quote them from their "about" page:

5. fitz

I don't think the blu-ray players have technology that includes "motion sensors and biometric technology" that will enable the hardware to determine the "specific details on the audience."

6. falconguard

The DRM that blu-ray already have is not enabled, by default, They do have the ability to brick your DVD player should you use something they don't like. But are you really gonna wait for Sony to decide when you can and can't borrow a dvd from somenone else and play it on your own?

7. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Because it's made up :laugh:

8. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Bah, so maybe I got a bit worked up over it. :) I did not know that site was satire, although I guess if I had RTFA I would have figured it out. :p To be honest I only skimmed through the quote fitz posted. :speechless:

Still! If it was true, I would be mad. :mad:

9. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Yes of course I am going to trust sony they have a brilliant track record of not hiding anything from their customers or anything else which could be considered underhanded*

*may not be true

10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

This was satire guys.

The fact that people think this is realistic and expect this type of behavior from the RIAA makes it funnier. :p

11. falconguard

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1845993,00.asp

The reason this is funny is because the satire is really close to home, like all good satire is. Or for an even better read
    http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060526_680075.htm?chan=search

an excerpt
    STRANGLEHOLD ON CONTENT. Even more extreme is a scheme called BD+ that deals with the problem of what to do when someone cracks the encryption scheme. The players can automatically download new crypto if the old one is broken. But there's an ominous feature buried in this so-called protection mechanism: If a particular brand of player is cryptographically "compromised," the studio can remotely disable all of the affected players. In other words, if some hacker halfway across the globe cracks Sony's software, Sony can shut down my DVD player across the Net.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  12. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Very funny, but you could imagine certain people in power trying to come up with an idea like this! lol! :p