MP3's | WMP | Itunes

encoding anything to a lossless format will preserve original quality. eg you can encode mp3 to flac, no quality will be lost, but file size will be bigger

You are so wrong there dude. You can not take a lossy format, turn it into a lossless format and keep the quality. You will lose the quality. The only way you will preserve quality is if you take a lossless format and transcode it into another lossless format... read up on what an MP3 does and you will see that you are wrong ...

no, the lossless should sound exactly the same as the lossy original

You are so wrong there dude. You can not take a lossy format, turn it into a lossless format and keep the quality. You will lose the quality. The only way you will preserve quality is if you take a lossless format and transcode it into another lossless format... read up on what an MP3 does and you will see that you are wrong ...

a lossless codec is just that, lossless, it does not matter what the source is. encoding from mp3 (lossy) to flac (lossless) is a completely lossless process. when that flac is decompressed, it will be bit-for-bit identical to the mp3 when it is decompressed.

you ought to read up on the difference between lossless and lossy encoders :)

A lossy format like an MP3 will not sound better if you convert it to a lossless format like an flac. Look at what a lossy format is .. A flac being encoded to an mp3 will sound better than taking a mp3 and encoding it to a flac. That is reverse encoding, and it will not work. It will sound the same as it did for the mp3 or worse, and yes the file will be bigger, but the quality will not be better ...

A lossy format like an MP3 will not sound better if you convert it to a lossless format like an flac.
True. As vertigo said, the flac file, when decompressed, will be identical to the source mp3, and so the two files will sound identical.

Look at what a lossy format is .. A flac being encoded to an mp3 will sound better than taking a mp3 and encoding it to a flac. That is reverse encoding, and it will not work. It will sound the same as it did for the mp3 or worse, and yes the file will be bigger, but the quality will not be better ...
Again, the resulting flac will not sound worse than the source mp3 because flac compression is lossless. It will not sound better either, because the bits lost when the original track was ripped to an mp3 can't be restored.

Basically, converting from mp3 to flac doesn't give you any benefits. If you really want to preserve quality at the expense of storage space, you should rip directly to a lossless format like flac.

A lossy format like an MP3 will not sound better if you convert it to a lossless format like an flac

nowhere did i suggest or imply that :suprised:. it won't sound any better or worse, but will be identical.

A flac being encoded to an mp3 will sound better than taking a mp3 and encoding it to a flac

only if the original flac was encoded from a high quality source, like a CD. re-encoding a flawed (ie one encoded from mp3/aac/ogg etc) flac to mp3 will only highlight artefacts. as already said many times, an mp3, when encoded to flac, when decompressed is identical to the original decompressed mp3.

you can relate it to image compression. mp3/aac/ogg are like jpeg, uncompressd (pcm) is bmp, FLAC and other lossless formats are 24-bit png.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back