MP3 filename to ID3 AND ID3v2 tags?

Eck

.user
I've been looking for an MP3 ID3 tag editing program that will look at the filename and fill in the corresponding ID3 tags, BOTH ID3v1 and v2. I've found a program called 123Tag that does a nice job, but it only does 1. A few others I've found are shareware and expire in 10 days or so and also leave a URL in the URL section in V2. Anyone got anything?

Mp3Tag does a pretty good job. It's freeware.
I prefer Tag & Rename though. It's not free ... but is well worth the price. I'm still waiting a new version the supports the new allmusic.com site.

This probably isn't exactly what you want, but I've used it in the past, and it works quite well for most files.
The MusicBrainz Tagger application allows you to automatically look up the tracks in your music collection and then write clean metadata tags (ID3 tags or Vorbis comment fields) to your files. As you tag the files in your collection that MusicBrainz didn't recognize, you submit the acoustic fingerprints (TRM ids) of your files back to the server. Submitting acoustic fingerprints will allow MusicBrainz to automatically identify these tracks in the future, so that other people using the Tagger can benefit from the work you have done.

As the community uses the Tagger application, more and more files will be automatically recognized.
MusicBrainz Tagger

vern said:
Mp3Tag does a pretty good job. It's freeware.
I prefer Tag & Rename though. It's not free ... but is well worth the price. I'm still waiting a new version the supports the new allmusic.com site.

Thanks Vern, EXACTLY what I was looking for.

There's a reason that a lot of the free taggers do not support v2. v2 was a very hastily thrown together standard as is evidenced by all the revisions to the v2 spec. v2 also can introduce gaps between tracks and can even contain viruses. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but look into using a combination of v1 and apeV2 tags. You can even make custom fields with apeV2. In additon, you could use foobar2000 which includes a very robust masstagger/renamer. I've also found case's tag.exe with speek's tag frontend very indispensable.

dreamliner77 said:
There's a reason that a lot of the free taggers do not support v2. v2 was a very hastily thrown together standard as is evidenced by all the revisions to the v2 spec. v2 also can introduce gaps between tracks and can even contain viruses. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but look into using a combination of v1 and apeV2 tags. You can even make custom fields with apeV2. In additon, you could use foobar2000 which includes a very robust masstagger/renamer. I've also found case's tag.exe with speek's tag frontend very indispensable.

Well, all of my MP3s are very organized with specific filename <artist> - <title>.mp3. I also like both ID3 tags to only have the artist and title spaces filled in. That's what I was trying to accomplish. MP3Tag is perfect.

I don't know, but I can see why anyone would use anything else. You can just select all the files, and have all the tags set any way you want them. Then you can add actions to clear any other fields and run the action button doing as many of them at the same time as you want. It's just so perfect.

MC82 said:
Does tag & rename do the same as MP3tag?

That and more. I especially like the way it gets the album name, tracks, album covers, review from allmusic.com.

i was using a program to get the cddb for albums called PsychicMP3 but i am geting the god father i think it does the same thing and more! thanks johnny

Godfather looks greats!

*goes to download

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back