MP3 filename to ID3 AND ID3v2 tags?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Eck, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Eck

Eck .user

I've been looking for an MP3 ID3 tag editing program that will look at the filename and fill in the corresponding ID3 tags, BOTH ID3v1 and v2. I've found a program called 123Tag that does a nice job, but it only does 1. A few others I've found are shareware and expire in 10 days or so and also leave a URL in the URL section in V2. Anyone got anything?

2. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Mp3Tag does a pretty good job. It's freeware.
    I prefer Tag & Rename though. It's not free ... but is well worth the price. I'm still waiting a new version the supports the new allmusic.com site.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

This probably isn't exactly what you want, but I've used it in the past, and it works quite well for most files.
    MusicBrainz Tagger

4. Eck

Eck .user

Thanks Vern, EXACTLY what I was looking for.

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

There's a reason that a lot of the free taggers do not support v2. v2 was a very hastily thrown together standard as is evidenced by all the revisions to the v2 spec. v2 also can introduce gaps between tracks and can even contain viruses. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but look into using a combination of v1 and apeV2 tags. You can even make custom fields with apeV2. In additon, you could use foobar2000 which includes a very robust masstagger/renamer. I've also found case's tag.exe with speek's tag frontend very indispensable.

6. Eck

Eck .user

Well, all of my MP3s are very organized with specific filename <artist> - <title>.mp3. I also like both ID3 tags to only have the artist and title spaces filled in. That's what I was trying to accomplish. MP3Tag is perfect.

7. MC82

MC82 Procrastinator

Does tag & rename do the same as MP3tag?

8. Eck

Eck .user

I don't know, but I can see why anyone would use anything else. You can just select all the files, and have all the tags set any way you want them. Then you can add actions to clear any other fields and run the action button doing as many of them at the same time as you want. It's just so perfect.

9. vern

That and more. I especially like the way it gets the album name, tracks, album covers, review from allmusic.com.

10. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

vern likes this.
  11. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i was using a program to get the cddb for albums called PsychicMP3 but i am geting the god father i think it does the same thing and more! thanks johnny

12. vern

Godfather looks greats!

*goes to download

13. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

masstagger in foobar2000= custom scripting