Mozilla Vs Internet Explorer!!

Speedy_b, thanks for the reply. I think i'll stick to IE though, never had any security issues with it (as far as i know!!ahh!). Some of you points are very good, others not so...they are appreciated either way. Like has been said before, i guess it's what you're use to!

I used to think that. Since Windows95 i've used Internet Explorer and occasionally dabbled with netscape.
Not until 9 months ago did i become soley a Mozilla user :)
Of course your right, it is what you are used to, change never hurts, but it does take time to adjust to.

As for the security issues, i think that security for most home users is bull****. it like Linux users looking down on us windows users saying Windows is un-secure.
While in comparisson this is true. I could count how many times my personal security has been exploited on one hand.. fist clenched :)

i dont know how most setup there PC's ...but i never worry about personal security as nothing on my machine relates to me ...other than maybe aquiring my ip addy what can they really find out about me??

Okay, I came here too late (bleh ... school)
Speedy pretty much mentioned everything I would say too :)

Personally, I really don't care about browser security at all.
My reasons for using Mozilla as my primary browser:

1) Tabbed browsing

2) Pop-up blocking - a major reason ... since I never liked external software to block popups/ads.

3) Blocking images from specific servers, blocking unwanted JavaScript, cookies, and applets with a single click (using Prefbar)

4) Standards compliance - what anyone in the world may say, Mozilla complies with standards set by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium), which guarantees that CORRECTLY CODED PAGES will be displayed as intended ... ALWAYS.

5) Speedy's NTFS sidebar rocks ;)

That's it from my side. Questions? Comments?

I use to be IE all the way but Mozilla changed all that. Very easy to figure out. Plus the theming aspect of it. Luv it. The email client is much better that ms's offerings. It has chat included. Oh & then there is this.

This reminds me of the age old PC/Mac debate --which I still engage in regularly:happy:.

Points are all well taken. SpeedY_B, you spent way too much time clarifying --but thanks for taking the time.

As for browsers, I have all except Netscrape. They each have strong points, *cough*MS*cough* tends to require more maintenance (it's still my primary though) and I'd say more but what's the point. :)

Good thread though, the whole discussion pretty much echos Mozilla.org's mission statement.

I am late, too, (damn those Aussies, right Hipster?), but I think the realy point that makes Mozilla superior is the cookie blocking function, and the form function. Unlike IE which treats all sites equal in terms of the cookie selection, Mozilla lets you choose for each site (and ads on sites) to place a cookie or not! I don't want every ad or site to place a cookie onto my pc! no way!!!

Second, any form you fill out, Mozilla enables you to remember the input, same goes for usernames and passwords! if you actually work with a browser (and not only surf) this can save a lot if time!

The reason pages are so often displayed wrong with IE is Frontpage. M$ Frontpage does not code pages according to the W3C standard, but everyone uses it. It is really not IEs fault (sorry Speedy). Any page created with eg: Homesite will display fine in both browsers!

And, btw, if you use the Quichlaunch function in Mozilla it loads just as quick as IE.

my 2 cents worth. EJ :cool:

Elroy Jetson
The reason pages are so often displayed wrong with IE is Frontpage. M$ Frontpage does not code pages according to the W3C standard, but everyone uses it. It is really not IEs fault (sorry Speedy). Any page created with eg: Homesite will display fine in both browsers!
Yeah, i spose it was more of a go at Microsoft for making up their own code, instead of IE actually rendering it incorrect.

One thing that IE does render incorrect tho, is .png files!
if you create a .png file in photoshop (or whatever) keep it open in photoshop, then open it in IE, then open it in Mozilla, you'll find that IE actually remders it darker than it should be (which is a pain in the ass when trying to match the pic with a HTML background colour)

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
on another note... Dealer thanks for that, My browser window is always open anyway :)

SysProg, this may be because of the "Download Manager"
I'm not sure if its the same with netscape as it is Mozilla, or if netscape even has the manager, but anyway....
Click tools > Download manager, then clear all previous downloads (Ctrl+A then del should sort it), This should sort the save dioalogs out.

This is quite true... I brought this up in another thread. If you do a ton of downloads be it with the *Download Manager* or just with a *Progress Window* it slows down all yer Dialoge Boxes when you're saving something you've downloaded.

Mozilla Will still list all yer downloads even if you don't use the *Download Manager*. Clean it out periodicaly. :cool:

I use four different browsers to check HTML pages after coding them and I still to this day prefer Mozilla to any other browser. Oh, and I have used Mozilla since it's birth. Opera is quite good also.

The two issues I want to answer here are the tabbed browsing and ad-blocking absent in IE...... which can easily fixed by installing an addon for each problem.

I love Adshield. Maximum effect, minimum effort. Perfection in programming? The only ad I don't block is the crucial one on NTFS.org (and if any of you guys block it, shame on you :p)

I'll be trying out my IE now...

Gonaads, i knew it was someone of here that told me that (about the d/l managed) nice one :)
Also i think that opera's nice too, the rendering engine is blisteringly fast. But im just more used to the Mozilla interface.

Rigsta, i agree that the extra functionality can be ahcieved on an IE Browser, but why should you have to go out your way to get it? it's be nice if Microsoft added in these fearures for a default install.

There are only 2 browsers that are better than Mozilla in my opinion and one of them is just an offshoot of Mozilla.

Phoenix is amazing as far as the browsers are concerned. I no longer use Mozilla, Phoenix all the way for me. Oh and thanks LYNCH!!!! love your Phoenix themes =)

The other is the brand spanking new Opera... mmm... nice

I found a tweak for Phoenix to speed up page loading (even more so than default) and omg you see the difference immediately from application.

Don't bother trying to convert IE ppl to Mozilla. Although we are right, the IE ppl will not want to escape their comfort zone and are usually put off by the ugliness of the default (and i mean DEFAULT) theme of Mozilla. They don't explore the program fully and already have a negative ideal before even launching the program.

They don't weigh up the pros vs cons. I have IE, its there and it works. Fair Enough. But why drive the Toyota Camry when you could be driving a MR2?

Sure it does the same thing and the MR2 uses more fuel, but which is better you think?

Oh no!!! please don't take 5 MB's of precious ram from me. I mean, MSN Messenger really needs it... cause yes... i don't have probably more than 50% of my RAM sitting there unused!!!!

Theres more to the PNG rendering btw... PNG transparency is completely ignored by IE. Microsoft have known about the issue since 5.5 and yet they didn't bother to put it into IE6 or IE6 SP1.

Mozilla has less holes as people are actively looking for the holes, reporting these holes and then having these holes closed NIGHTLY. Ah, the advantages of OPEN SOURCE projects.

Go have a look at Bugzilla, (i'd love to see MS respond this quickly to user comments)

Btw, current Mozilla users, have a play with Phoenix. Its quite the versatile little bugger.

oh my god

you guyz are still here

coupla points...

those that say why use an add on to ie, when you don't have too.

excuse me?...using mozilla isn't doing an add in?...of course it is/

those that think their add controll is just as good as the "add on" of adshield.

not a chance...adshield does so much more then stop adds, I will not use a v=browser that doesn't have it.

as far as extra ram...jeeze, I don't even use coolmom till I need it, because I absolutely notice the differance in ram.

now, comparing one car to another...fine...but you must use that comparison while you still own the camery, and must leave the camery running at the same time mozilla is runnung,,,I ABSOLUTELY NOTICE THE BOG OF ANY ADDITIONAL BROWSER...ABSOLUTELY...because explorere will always be running, whether you like it or not

don't start that discussion, we are using xp, and that is where we are, explorer is part of it.

and

sorry

I HAVE tried all of these browsers, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what you mean when you say they are faster...they are not

ok...I'll be back next week, if you guyz are still at it

well said dealer. i use MSIE because it saves me having to install more bits after original install. I tried mozilla but found I'd have to keep installing the newer versions. Why bother when Windows Update keeps MSIE updated at the same time as the OS??

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Rigsta, i agree that the extra functionality can be ahcieved on an IE Browser, but why should you have to go out your way to get it? it's be nice if Microsoft added in these fearures for a default install.

Yes, it would be nice if those options were available on install, particularly tabbed browsing. It's quite unlikely that MS will officially support freeware like ad-shield though. Ad-shield is the only extra I have installed, and it was painless in the extreme to install and get used to, so I don't see it as going out of my way. That's a personal opinion though :)

Originally posted by mbunny
Don't bother trying to convert IE ppl to Mozilla. Although we are right, the IE ppl will not want to escape their comfort zone and are usually put off by the ugliness of the default (and i mean DEFAULT) theme of Mozilla. They don't explore the program fully and already have a negative ideal before even launching the program.

They don't weigh up the pros vs cons.

Oi! it's not nice to make generalisations like that. I find those comments to be very unfair. We're all intelligent, technically-minded people here, so why not keep the conversation that way?

As it happens, I like the idea of tabbed browsing and changeable themes, but I also like the super-fast loading time of IE, the fact that I rarely notice any errors on loaded pages, the integration into the OS, Ad-shield, the quicksearch function (eg. I can type "goo XP" into the address bar to launch a google search for XP - although this is admittedly a tweak - guess where I got it from? ;)). Finally, I've been able to configure the controls layout to take up such a tiny amount of screen space that a change to the browser theme would barely be noticeable. I prefer to look at the website, not the browser ;)

It's also worth noting that Ad-shield is more like a plugin than an external program (A "Browser Helper Object" or BHO to be exact - any budding programmers reading this please note that it's a great example of modular programming ;)). And yeah, I think I'll stop plugging Ad-shield for the time being :p

To conclude, why go out of my way to change? Sure there may be other very noteworthy browsers out there, but I happen to like the IE+Ad-shield on my computer. We could argue for days about which one is technically better, but it's down to user preference in the end. Changing would be a pain, and I can't be arsed with it.

ok all you Mozilla advocates :D

Dealer has started a thread here and needs some advise...............go go go :D

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Do you know where this is defined in the W3 specs? I'm trying to find it. It has to do the with the paragraph <p> tag.

What do you want to know about it???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back