Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 with free Hotmail account?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Moonwraith, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

Hiya,
    Is it possible to access a free hotmail account using Thunderbird? (anyone worked out how to do it?)

Thanks

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I think not, well at least I only use my thunderbird for POP3 email (which hotmail is not) and I think that's the way it is meant to go - plus M$ hate you using anything that is not their own really.... watch out for M$ "spaces" blogware coming your way soon!

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I'm sure there are applications out there which retrieve information from Hotmail then present it to your client as pop3 information. Someone should be able to recommend one, unfortunately I don't know any.

Moonwraith likes this.
  4. Cen0x™

Cen0x™ OSNN Fanatic.

Yep.. you can use outlook express ..

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

6. Moonwraith

Can't use it anymore. I know my rents do (I set up their O.E before the new 250mb accounts came out)

Shortly before the hotmail upgrade they set up a new set of "rules" by which you have to pay to use outlook/Outlook express (their premium account). Trying it now causes the following error:

"Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com"

[edit] Thanks for the link American Zombie, I'll have a looksee at "Mr Postman" and see if it works! Thanks again [/edit]

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Hotmail access through Outlook and Outlook Express will become a subscription service. The transition has already taken place for several Hotmail users, and other accounts will soon follow, so don't count on it for too long.

Your best bet is to use one of the HTTP to POP3 apps that were posted in the thread American Zombie linked to. I have the older, freeware version of Hotmail Popper set up for my mom and it works just fine with Thunderbird, Outlook or anything else.

The public beta has been up for a while now at http://spaces.msn.com. It actually displays fine in Firefox, apart from certain special sections like the photo slideshow tile. Wallop works perfectly well in Firefox too.

Moonwraith likes this.
  8. Moonwraith

Excellent, I'll give that a try. I was beaten by the .jar format that Mr. Postman came as :wow: lol