Mozilla: Firebird

Yes, you can just extract it to the same folder every time.

I go to program files and rename the older build to something like: 8-29MozillaFirebird - so I can go back to it if I need to. Then move the new file in.

It's best to create a fresh floder with the new build and as lynchknot said rename yer old original to something else and then extract the "nightly build" to a new fresh folder. This way there is no screw ups if something gets overwritten wrong or any other boo boos.

If you notice on their site they specify that you should do a fresh install for the simple reason of not having any strange conflicts... I have done it both ways and YES sometimes when ya overwrite and older install it WILL fudge it up.

I have the public release 0.6.1 build - and cant get Java to integrate very well.

Anyone know how?

Download the attached file, change from .txt to .reg then double click it :)

You may need to edit it first if your FB installtion isn't in the same directory as the one in the file

good old speedy :)

I'm using the Optimised builds now; I must say these are faster! I now can officially say IE has nothing over firebird in my books

how could you say firebird is a small browser when it uses 20MB+ with just one page open? i can open 6+ tabs in opera with <15MB .... (although i guess it depends on what pages you open)

BTW.. are there only 3 unique browser engine that exist out there?
IE(Mosaic), Mozilla & Opera....

Originally posted by l0g0ut
BTW.. are there only 3 unique browser engine that exist out there?
IE(Mosaic), Mozilla & Opera....

Please please please, never ever put IE and Mosaic in the same thought. IE will never be Mosaic.. Mosaic is the original mac daddy of browsers. IE is a placebo... it's like 7up, never had it never will. And yes there are quite a few browsers out there, don't really want to list but someone else can if they wish...

Damn!

Back to work. :mad: :p

:D

i have to apologize then.. i never thought anyone would feel strongly about IE and mosaic... i confess i know nothing about mosaic.... i just read the Help->About in IE....

IE is the poopie.

I used to use Mozilla until just a few minutes ago. I tried Firebird again and its my new browser, nice and smooth browsing.

IE will take the whole OS down the second it crashes, it has weak security, no popup blocking, no tabs, medicre rendering engine (CSS in particular), microsoft java and it can be a resource hog (while never letting go of it's memory allocation until reboot)

The list goes on, so what was that about Firebird being... lesser then IE? Infact; even Mozilla owns IE (just in a 100 different ways)

Did I mention Firebird matches and/or beats IE's rendering speed WHILE doing it properly to exact WC3 spec?

*prods IE with an XHTML document*

*points and laughs as it cowers in the corner*

Though I agree that after using Firebird, I only use IE for Windows Update, it no longer will crash the entire OS.

wow..only one ie in this whole thread

as everyone knows, I dissagree with most if the pro mozilla, anti ie bashing going on...and I can't believe anyone has benshmarked anything faster then ie...I guess I'll ahve to try it again and see if it's gotten any better then the last time I tried it....it was indeed terrible by comparison to ie, but back then everyone that was using the mo wanted to say mo was better then too.

it wasn't even close then, but the users insisted it was better...like they do now

I suspect it's still not even close, but I'll give it another go

you guys can keep having fun with your alternatives, I'll give this another shot, let it mess up my brand new box, and I guess I'll reportr back in a couple of weeks

We don't need benchmarks or numbers to tell us that FireBird is faster than IE most of us have used both and therefore know from experience, you could show us a graph with pretty colours and a fancy layout that depicts IE as the faster browser, but the simple fact is that it is a user specific thing.

We don't care about IE, we prefer FireBird and/or Mozilla, we hate IE for our own personal reasons, and those reasons aren't going to be changed, so don't bother trying to argue it.

[edit] If this turns into a debate and/or any flames appear I won't hesitate to close the thread. I'm bored of arguments, this thread was created as a recommendation of the FireBird browser, and other users of FB have commented. There is no need to change it's direction.

The only thing I will add is, if there is no ActiveX, install on demand spyware would go away.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
*prods IE with an XHTML document*

*points and laughs as it cowers in the corner*

Send IE a perfectly normal:

Content-Type: text/xhtml+xml

Or whatever it is, and it will ask you to download it =).

don't need benchmarks or numbers to tell us that FireBird is faster than IE

yes, you do.

most of us have used both and therefore know from experience

the vast majority of those that experiment with the mo continue to use ie, and using your own reasoning, ie wins this argument

you could show us a graph with pretty colors and a fancy layout that depicts IE as the faster browser

yes, this will probably be the case once again...I see you are prepared for the inevitable

but the simple fact is that it is a user specific thing

on this you are clearly correct, for it surely is not a performance specific thing

we hate IE for our own personal reasons

yes, i thought that was it...it's not a performance issue at all

If this turns into a debate and/or any flames appear I won't hesitate to close the thread

of course you should if flames appear.

if you want to close the thread because it becomes a debate...well go ahead then

I'm bored of arguments, this thread was created as a recommendation of the FireBird and/or Mozilla,, and those reasons aren't going to be changed, so don't bother trying to argue it.

it doesn't matter if you're bored with arguments or discussions

so long as statements are made as facts, the statements will be argued if they are not facts

when I was reading this thread, I actually thought that the mo had improved to the point of surpassing ie, since ie has stopped development.

I was full prepared to find that I prefer the mo now over ie for that very reason.

now I see that the claims are not substantial, and there is no need for me to do my benchmarks, for as speedy points out, benchmarks don't mean much to those that use the mo

so I'll retire from this thread after pointing out to those that still prefer ie that there is every performance reason to prefer ie, and to dicard mozilla for being a poor performer...any supposed performance claims made on this thread about the mo being a faster browser are not substantiated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back